Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pentatonic Scales

(@larrydcox44gmail-com)
Trusted Member

Devin,

I apologize in advance for what is probably a dense question, but I am having trouble understanding the charts and the concept of pentatonic scales. Are they scales like the standard scales that you can play and memorize? I've read they are a crucial part of learning how to improvise, which we're all shooting for, but I'm kind of lost in space in the understanding of them. You have probably covered this in your lessons, but I haven't found any yet. Thanks and again I apologize for being slow.

Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2018 8:51 AM
Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee, John and 7 people reacted
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Hey Larry,

Exactly, they are very standard scales. I'd say most people start out learning the pentatonic scale shapes when they're first learning to improvise solos. Here's an older lesson on using the pentatonic scales...haven't watched it in a long time but I think there might be some things in there that will help you out https://countryguitaronline.com/how-to-play-lead-guitar-where-to-start/

In most cases, the scale chart diagrams will have six lines running horizontally that represent the six guitar strings just like tablature...lowest line is the low E string, highest line is high E. All the dots will represent the frets you can press down in a particular key. Depending on the chart, the black dots will sometimes represent the scale root notes. You can play the dots in a row like a scale starting at the lowest left dot, then read left to right...then working up the lines/strings from left to right. It can be helpful to practice the scales, but I think the most important thing is for you to memorize the shapes on the neck so you know what notes are available for improvising in a particular key.

Major and minor pentatonic scales actually share the exact same shapes, but the starting point is different. Another older lesson, but this one might help with that https://countryguitaronline.com/mixing-the-major-and-minor-pentatonic-scales-guitar-lesson/

When I started playing lead guitar, I actually played mostly rock and blues so I memorized the five positions of the E minor pentatonic scale first because that's an easy key to see all five positions/shapes on the neck. Since the key of G is the most common key in most types of music, I've kind of shifted my approach in teaching the scales to encourage people to learn the 5th position key of G scale shapes first since they are very useful.

And if you haven't read some of the paragraphs that I've added to the scale chart pages under the Resources link at the top, I'd probably recommend skimming through that also. Working through the Fill Riff course from start to finish would help too.

Just let me know if you have any specific questions -

Devin

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2018 9:17 AM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Good point Larry....

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2018 12:40 AM
(@larrydcox44gmail-com)
Trusted Member

Thanks Devin.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 24, 2018 1:23 AM
jerseychicadee, Eric Reinhardt, John and 8 people reacted
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

are those standard scales suitable for blues as well ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2018 1:59 AM
Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee, John and 8 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@devin 👍 👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2020 5:49 PM
Susan Wagner, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@wjssavhotmail-co-ukthanks for bumping this post, super helpful lessons there

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2020 11:32 PM
John, Susan Wagner, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I had pretty much stopped trying to rationalize the pentatonic system and decided to just learn them. I’m doing good...then... I picked up a Troy Nelson Book... MASTER PENTATONIC SCALES IN 14 DAYS:BUST OUT OF THE BOX!
My bad! I need a calculator for this. I played piano, 2nd grade through high school, played scales for hours upon hours. Lol. I learn best when I understand everything about the subject. I’m just gonna go back to just learning to play them. I think I’ll try to learn and understand the fretboard which will help me better understand the pentatonic scales. I remember when I first learned how to transpose the key of a song and it was confusing for a while then it clicked. I’m hoping for this to happen 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2020 9:06 PM
Jocelyn, Katharina, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I got the 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scales down. Now I just need to figure out where to go from here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2020 11:39 PM
Jocelyn, Katharina, John and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee Yeah, I haven't really had much of this "click" for me yet. I've memorized the E-minor pentatonic scale and I understand that there's overlap in the scales, like move the shape up or down a fret and you're in a different key. I'm still studying music theory though, and it's been a hard slog for me.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 5:10 PM
Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt, Katharina and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

@shysue

https://www.dummies.com/art-center/music/guitar/basics-of-scales-for-the-guitar/

I needed to see the info on paper! Exactly what I needed. I went looking for Guitar for Dummies book/ found the webpage! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2020 1:34 PM
Jocelyn, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@katharina)
Eminent Member

@jerseychicadee very useful!Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2020 3:01 PM
Jocelyn, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2020 3:19 PM
Jocelyn, jerseychicadee, John and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

If you are playing the right scale with the song in the same key all of the notes should sound ok right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2020 4:20 PM
Jocelyn, Susan Wagner, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve crossed the Bridge of Pentatonia!!!  I think it just clicked into place, no, that was my neck, but I’ve got em memorized! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2020 12:15 AM
Share: