Forum

Files/Sandpaper for...

Notifications
Clear all

Files/Sandpaper for Frets and Picks

(@shysue)
Famed Member

I know this has been discussed before, but what do you guys use to file or sandpaper down rough fret ends? And what kind of file or sandpaper would you use for plastic picks? 

I've never attempted this before but I really need to get some frets smoothed out on a couple of instruments. And I've got a thumb pick I need to round down a bit. 

Topic starter Posted : March 12, 2021 6:47 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I would like some info on this also. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2021 8:42 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I have a whole mess of files and sandpaper. Fret guru has a nice triangle file much cheaper than Stew Mac has for a very similar file. Stew Mac has a great video on different files and instructions too. Stew Macs prices though are outrageous. I have a fret bel Eli get file but it is tough. I prefer to use the finer fret guru file

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/trade-secrets/how-to-choose-the-perfect-fret-crowning-file.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2021 11:06 PM
Susan Wagner and John reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  Thanks for posting this. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2021 12:07 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I do all my own luthier work. It’s not hard with YouTube. I wouldn’t attempt to remove a bridge or reset a neck. My ukuleles were my practice/testing zones. The all needed major set ups except one I bought from a Hawaiian dealer and they do a custom set up 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2021 6:19 AM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee I guess this short film provides the answer, personally if the guitar is of any great value 

i would leave it to an expert.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2021 5:22 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee That's good info thanks, Jerseychicadee.

(I usually don't look at Stew-Mac because I know I'll find all kinds of things I need/don't need. But I'll do it for this, LOL. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 13, 2021 7:15 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I do my own because it’s not a big job. I’ve fixed scratches, dings, even glued  up a pretty smashed up ukulele. I’ve changed out tuner heads and bridges and nuts. File lots of fret ends.  I don’t think I’d feel comfortable taking off a neck. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2021 11:58 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I'll do some stuff but I don't want to break anything fixing it, LOL. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 15, 2021 7:13 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Oh yea. I learn on cheap ukuleles. When I moved up to a more expensive uke I had the dealer set it up and I hate to even change the strings on it cause it sounds so good the way it is. Like Penny. I just love the way she sounds. I don’t want to mess with anything on her. I’ve thought about taking her to shop just for string change. She’s just so comfortable the way she is. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2021 10:56 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I still haven't changed the strings on my Martin D-18 because it sounds perfect the way it is. Once I change these strings it'll never sound the same again.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 16, 2021 7:50 PM
(@henry_5823msn-com)
Trusted Member

0000 steel wool. Make sure your fret boar on both sides of fret is protected.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2021 5:53 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Essential tool all over my work bench.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2021 7:48 AM
Susan Wagner and jrick92 reacted
Share: