(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

Santa cruz strings

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2018 1:19 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 7 people reacted
 Jon
(@jonathanhembreygmail-com)

That does sounds really interesting. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the info!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2018 1:22 PM
(@fransverboomgmail-com)
Reputable Member

I really like the sound of the Martin acoustic M535 phosphor bronze strings , i have tried lots of others but these are the best for me

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2018 6:15 AM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 6 people reacted
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

good to know , i ll have a try ! prechtig dag man !

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2018 9:20 PM
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings
Santa Cruz Guitar Company is pleased to announce the release of Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings.

When it comes to strings, it’s all about tension. While gauge is simply the measurement of the string’s diameter, the tension of a string determines its relative volume to the other strings (EQ). String tension is determined by its core to wrap ratio, which can vary greatly among manufacturers. This can create multi-pound differences between brands and an illogical EQ within any given set.

Santa Cruz Strings are engineered to do what others cannot, to put the exact tension on each individual string to create the appropriate download pressure. These calculated tensions determine the optimal relative volume between strings, or EQ, for your instrument.  Santa Cruz Strings require precise core to wrap ratios and precision fit and finish for unprecedented tolerances of one half of one thousandths of an inch. This accurately determines the tension/volume of each string to the exact EQ that your guitar was designed for. State of the art metallurgy and micro-coating assures long life by preventing corrosive moisture from contacting the core of these nickel and lead-free strings.

This project has been a decade in the making; commercially available strings were never able to truly complement the complexity of overtones and sustain that SCGC achieves by individually tap tuning and hand voicing each guitar. SCGC, therefore, sought out the wisdom of their friends and colleagues within the audiological sciences to collaborate on a new design that will fully drive Santa Cruz Guitar Company’s complex acoustic tone.

All new SCGC guitars leaving our small shop in Santa Cruz will be set up with these new Santa Cruz Strings, and individual packages of both the Low Tension and Mid Tension sets can be purchased by clicking below. SCGC finds that most players prefer the Low Tension Strings for smaller bodied guitars, OOO, OM, H and F Models, and the Mid Tension Strings for dreadnought models. If you prefer to use Mid Tension Strings on smaller bodied guitars, it is recommended that the guitar be set up to accommodate the added tension.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2018 10:10 AM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

These advices are all appreciated!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2018 10:16 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 6 people reacted
(@kristanprimozgmail-com)

Recently I started using Wyres phosphor bronze (P.T.F.E. coated), CP12-54 on my vintage D-28. They sound amazing also on Collings 000-2H.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 13, 2018 7:24 AM
 Tim
(@tim)

Nice, thanks for the tip. I'll try them out. I also tried the John Pearse phosphor bronze Devin was recommending and they are excellent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2018 9:04 AM
 Alex
(@alexcontinilive-co-uk)
Eminent Member

Has anybody tried to ‘boil’ old strings in water with a bit of vinegar? It does seem to restore the lustre and most of the original tone, but the strings become fragile somewhat. They can sometimes snap upon tensioning again. I guess it’s not the boiling that weakens them though, but the fact that they have been pre-tensioned for months and the metal has developed internal stress points. Annhealing at 500C in a muffle furnace might also work but I haven’t tried that! I am a chemist and we do have a muffle at work, so I might give it a shot. I’ll keep you posted on developments!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2018 10:33 AM
(@chris-comer)

I go through strings like crazy, probably 2 full sets a week.. I don't even get through a single gig on those Pyramids, but they're dirt cheap so hey ho. I normally settle on Martin's or D'addarios. Mebbe get 3 or 4 gigs out of them. I end up buying the cheapest non Pyramids I can find (in bulk). Almost any new strings sound better than almost any old ones. So I change em as often as I can.

I always thought Black Diamonds were some sort of joke as outlined in the Guy Clark song of the same name!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 10:41 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I've been using Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs on all my acoustics for awhile now and have been happy with them. They're a bit pricy though so I'm going to be trying some other brands soon. I've got some D'addario phosphor bronze next in the lineup when I change my strings again. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 8:28 PM
 Mac
(@macschildergmail-com)
Reputable Member

I recently bought a bulk 12 pack of D'addario strings: phosphor bronze... EJ16-12P, light gauge (I think I usually go for medium but this was a good price deal for 30 bucks)... "Warm, bright and balanced tone." I'm not a huge strings snob, I swear I had one bad experience with elixirs, where I didn't like them... and a guitar teacher once told me that they sometimes come "dead out the pack." I'm not sure how true that is, but having had one pair that I didn't like, I tried the D'addarios awhile back and they seemed decent. 

I don't change my strings very often which is pretty rough seeing as I've been a consistent player the last couple years. I aim to change them every six months. You can hear my strings on my videos uploaded into one of the other forums, they are pretty old at the moment. I'm always open for suggestions on strings, but so far these haven't disappointed me! 

I also have a hunch that most very experienced guitar players prefer thick picks. I've played for quite a chunk of time, but I love my Dunlop .73 (I believe) Yellow Pick, and the slightly thicker Green one, both of which are medium. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 10:28 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

I’m always open for suggestions about strings, still a mystery to me! I play with a blue chip pick TP 40 and sometimes a Dunlop .73 mm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 5:29 AM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 5 people reacted
Page 2 / 3
Share: