Forum

Acoustic Guitar Str...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic Guitar Strings

Page 1 / 3
(@collin)

What kind of acoustic guitar strings are good for classic country?

Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2018 7:04 AM
fransverboom, John, jerseychicadee and 7 people reacted
(@chris-g)

I like to use EJ17s by D-addario to get nice tone. And I see alot of others using the Martin lifespan strings but I am open try trying new strings if there is something better. Does anybody else have a preference?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2018 6:02 AM
 Gary
(@osbornefuse-net)

Everyone has their own "ear" but I have become very partial to the GHS Americana strings. I use mediums on my Martins and lights on my Gibsons. I love the tone of these strings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2018 7:04 AM
(@collin)

Thanks Gary and Chris -- The GHS Americanas are new to me. I may try those next. My "ear" still needs plenty of work- whether or not I can hear a difference in tone is a whole different story. I'll let you know how it goes!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 26, 2018 2:44 PM
(@deadfilmstargmail-com)

Myself, I prefer Ernie Ball phospher bronze. Usually string with 11s or 12s depending of guitar and target.

My gibson jumbo has 12s, my martin,11s. gives the jumbo even more punch and sustain.. the martin.. thin and bright.

most of the time the gibson.. is down a step, then drop tuning, i find it still keeps the guitar loud as it takes more tension to tune thicker strings

I can play the heck out of those strings and they dont loose clarity or brightness for a long stretch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2018 1:27 AM
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

I haven't tried Ernie Ball phosphor bronze strings or the GHS Americanas but I'll give them a shot. Always looking for better tone.

Has anybody tried Black Diamond phosphor bronze strings? I've always been curious after hearing that one line in "Church Street Blues" about stringing up this old Martin box with old Black Diamond brand.

I used to only play with Elixer Nanoweb phosphor bronze mediums...was pretty set on those strings being the best since they're really soft to the touch, but then someone here at CGO posted a comment about John Pearse phosphor bronze strings being much better than Elixers and other brands. I tried out the mediums a few months ago and I'm sold on John Pearse phosphor bronze for now...amazing tone. I will say, they don't last as long as Elixers since they're not coated, but the tone sounds much better to me. You can hear them in the latest "Tennessee Stud" lesson video. I bought some Fast Fret to apply to the strings before and after I practice and it seems to make them last a lot longer.

I hope people keep posting on this topic because I'd love to hear about some other brands to try...

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2018 11:35 AM
fransverboom, Ewart Boer, John and 8 people reacted
 Jon
(@jonathanhembreygmail-com)

I use the Ernie Ball Homewood Phosphor Bronze or the 80/20 Phosphor(mostly on my J45). No complaints here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2018 1:28 PM
(@bryan)

John Pearse strings are my favorite also, and I read that Doc Watson used John Pearse phosphor bronze strings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2018 6:18 AM
(@familyman4)

I also like the Elixer P/B Nanoweb strings. I love the feel and the fact that they last a really long time between string changes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2018 1:45 PM
(@ibpickin)

I attended the IBMA this past week and had the opportunity to try the " Straight up Strings". Their heavy gauge is more like a medium , and the mediums are more like lights. Something about the torque and tension between the strings being more balanced. I was pretty impressed with the sound and feel. definitely worth getting a set to try.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 3:24 AM
fransverboom, Ewart Boer, John and 8 people reacted
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Very cool. I've never heard of those but the technology sounds really interesting...just did some snooping around on their Siminoff "Straight Up Strings" website. Think I'll place an order and give those a try. Thanks for the tip.

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 11:18 AM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 7 people reacted
Justin
(@infoyounggloves-co-uk)
Reputable Member

Strings are something I'm always trying out.  I'm using Elixer at the minute.  They are expensive but last a long time.   I like the idea of using the same strings as Doc Watson though, so for my next change I'm gonna try John Pearse I'll let you know how I get on 😀

Keep on Picking 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 10:23 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

I’m going to try these on my J15.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2018 1:17 AM
fransverboom, John, jerseychicadee and 6 people reacted
(@ibpickin)

You wont be disappointed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2018 2:12 AM
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

I heard great feedback about nickel strings

Has someone ever tried those types of strings ? What's really the difference ?

thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2018 4:12 AM
Page 1 / 3
Share: