Get a more natural acoustic tone with Woodtone Strings Shop Strings
After you complete this lesson, showcase your playing in our Community Forum!

Ten Different Ways to Play the Bluegrass “G Run”

Lesson ID: A0170

The classic “G run” is the most important part of bluegrass guitar. Learning different variations of the G run will improve your soloing and backup rhythm guitar. In this guitar lesson, we’ll work through ten different examples of how to play the standard bluegrass G run on guitar. All of the bluegrass G run examples in this lesson come with tablature. The first G run we’ll cover is the most common G run that guitar players use at bluegrass jams. We’ll also look at different signature G runs used by the great bluegrass pickers over the years — Del McCoury, Tony Rice, Norman Blake, and Doc Watson. Later in this bluegrass guitar lesson, we’ll get some practice using G runs with the chord progression to “Will the Circle be Unbroken” .

Lesson Overview

Jocelyn(@jocelyn)
4 years ago

Quality teaching….thanks Devin!

Clay
Clay(@clay)
4 years ago

I really like your style of teaching. Thanks!

drewlorentzen
drewlorentzen(@drewlorentzengmail-com)
3 years ago

Holy cow it seems no matter what lesson or what I try I can not seem to pick the right string without literally staring at my right hand. It sometimes makes me want to smash things. What lesson do you suggest I begin with? I do like this lesson, but man it gets aggravating missing even the fifth string and hitting the sixth all the time.

George Ovitt
George Ovitt(@nmgo)
1 year ago
Reply to  drewlorentzen

I had the same problem. Try this: Write out the numbers 1-6 randomly, filling a whole page of a notebook. 1 is your low E, 6 your high. Then practice (no looking), a down and up pick on each number–you will hear whether or not you are correct. It takes, honestly, only about a week of practicing in this way to solve the problem. Good luck.

Paul Supplee
Paul Supplee(@67543eddy)
1 year ago

Do you have the tablature in a print out form for the using G runs with ‘circle be unbroken’ ?