Forum

Stay All Night Stay...

Notifications
Clear all

Stay All Night Stay a Little Longer

Page 1 / 2
(@shysue)
Famed Member

This is a fun song to do. I found Willie Nelson's version on Ultimate Guitar but it just shows G and D chords. Very simple. Thought it would have more to it than that. Here's a spirited version by The Avett Brothers. 

Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2020 6:19 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, John and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve come to really enjoy the Avett  Bro’s recently. I’ve been watching the entire series Dexter (for about the 4 th time). I discovered one my favorite actresses on the show, Deborah Morgan, (Jennifer Carpenter, ex wife of Michael C. Hall),  is married to Seth Avery now. Celebrity stalker from the depths of my sofa! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2020 7:50 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

HBO had a documentary about the Avett Brothers a while back. Check it out if you can, it was a really great program. 

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/may-it-last-a-portrait-of-the-avett-brothers

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2020 12:54 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@shysue cool thanks for sharing, i will have to try and watch that one

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2020 2:36 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Nice one 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2020 4:29 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I'd really like to know how to do some solos between verses. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 17, 2020 6:28 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, Jocelyn and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I watched a YouTube vid today the guy said take 4-6 notes in the pentatonic scale and just make your solo from that. Two strings. He did it on one string but he’s a show off

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2020 8:47 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, Jocelyn and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@shysue Again Use the Bible method Seek and yee shall find 😀  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2020 12:19 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  Who did that video? I'd like to see it. I've heard that, too, but guess I'm just not very creative because I haven't been able to make a decent solo that way. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2020 3:53 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Tom Strahle. It went up yesterday  he does a live lesson at 11 pacific time a couple times a week.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2020 4:14 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I found this version. Chords way too hard for me at this point lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2020 4:22 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I gotta stick to boom chicks and alternate bass. I’m just scared to go up the neck at this point and barre chords are the boogie man. I appreciate more  picking since signing on here. Someday 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2020 5:58 PM
(@oldtimeplayer)

You can play this in G with just two chords, G and D. In the classic Willie Nelson recording, assuming my memory isn't faulty, the intro is a shuffle beat with a melodic figure based on Gm pentatonic. Slide to G at the 5th fret on your d string. Bb on the G string, D on the A string, F on the d string.

slide>>>GGGGGGGGGG-BbBb-GG-BbBb-DDFG. Play it at the Gm Pentatonic position starting on the 2rd fret. (described in these lessons adposition 5?)

This is a country swing tune. It NEEDS to swing. To pull it off effectively solo I'd think an arrangement using extended chords and passing chords would do. You need to overcome the simple harmony and capture the melody. Its a great song to play with others. You can keep it simple and it still sounds great. Willie's outlaw era version is awesome. That said, go to the source and listen to some Bob Wills. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2020 6:06 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@oldtimeplayer This is one of those songs that has been around for awhile and a lot of artists have done a version of it. Went to YouTube and found dozens of videos, and I did see the Bob Wills swing version, it was pretty cool. 

Thanks for the intro info. Think I saw this on the Ultimate Guitar Willie Nelson version of the song with G and D chords throughout. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2020 7:35 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee Thanks for the Tom Strahle video! I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon.

I did run across the Eldon Shamblin Lesson in my YouTube explorations, but didn't think I wanted to try that kind of playing now. Yeah, one of those barre chords he did looked like it stretched out over 5 frets. I'm not there yet, LOL. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2020 7:40 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: