Forum

Improvisation Lesso...

Notifications
Clear all

Improvisation Lesson

Page 1 / 2
(@g)
Noble Member

I would love to see another improvisation lesson on creating your own guitar breaks in the Key of G. I would love to improve my overall jam sessions with friends by knowing more of what to play in a G,C and D chord progression. I think the constant back and forth between players is so much fun and I would love to learn how to be better at it.

Topic starter Posted : January 8, 2021 12:56 PM
Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee, jrick92 and 4 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @rg

I would love to see another improvisation lesson on creating your own guitar breaks in the Key of G. I would love to improve my overall jam sessions with friends by knowing more of what to play in a G,C and D chord progression. I think the constant back and forth between players is so much fun and I would love to learn how to be better at it.

Yes G, In the Key of C would be good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 6:19 PM
C White, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Yeah that would would be cool John.

I've never been to a bluegrass jam before but I heard Devin talk about 

how they go around a circle and each person plays a guitar break in that key.

It would be fun to know what to breaks to play and why you're playing those specific notes.

I have practiced a little on the G Blues Scale and G Major Scale after going thru one of Devin's

lessons but I would like to know more to broaden my horizon a bit more so  I can better improvise 

and be more creative while playing with other people.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 8, 2021 7:26 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@rg Bluegrass jams are the best way to improve your improvising skills, Very rarely they move away

from the Key of G though because the capo is so handy especially when playing a chord progression, 

Something along the lines of the Guitar boogie progression is popular.

When i'am asked by onlookers what's that thing on the neck of your Guitar (Capo)

I explain to them, Its indicates that the player didn't attend the school of music 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 9:30 PM
C White, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

I look forward to the day that I'm ready to play at a bluegrass jam.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 8, 2021 10:13 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@wjssavhotmail-co-uk Display that capo with pride! 😀   It's a great tool.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 11:13 PM
C White, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I watch Tom Strahle on YouTube on M-W-Fr from 9 am pacific time usuall a couple hours. Nothing formal. He is currently doing a bluegrass scales and improv lesson class. He is a writer. Worked with The Bieb has a lot of other writing credentials. Does a lot of ruff work. A lot of the music on the Price is Right is his. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 11:32 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadeegood stuff.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 9, 2021 8:49 AM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@jrick92Yeah I never put a lot of effort into learning theory but now I am really intrigued by learning how everything works and why it works that way. I've been playing for a while but I feel like I know very little in the grand scheme of things haha. I guess that makes this journey fun because there's always something new to discover.

What I have been doing, as far as jamming with others, is that if we're playing something in the Key of G playing a 1/4/5  I'll just play a Tony Rice lick that has a root note to match whatever chord is being played at that time and then try to land on that same note following the rhythm guitar player. I started tabbing out Tony Rick licks on guitar pro with the letter of the note above each number so I can kind of dissect what he's doing as far as how he starts and how he ends when playing over specific chords.   

I wonder how others learn different riffs to play when playing with others?

This site has been a lot of fun in regards to adding in a lot of flavor to your playing. It's been a lot of fun, even when playing slow, to just play a simple G,C,D Chord progression and add in cross picking, hammer ons, slides and different riffs and it doesn't have to be at lightning speed to sound good either.

Bryan Sutton talks a lot about quality of playing over playing fast.

It's really neat to see how much you can layer in to a simple song with 3 chords.

I notice in songs like "That Home Far Away" by Billy Strings is that's what he does to make a G,C,D chord progression sound so good.

Same with "Dust in a Baggie" of course with exception to those insanely fast guitar breaks. I studied the guitar breaks in that song for months and I can play it all the way thru but I doubt I will ever be able to play at that speed but I really do enjoy playing it at a slower speed same as "That Home Far Away" I have attached the link to the guitar pro file for that guitar break if anyone is interested in it. It has some good cross picking in it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poegsh4cs0eih25/Billy%20Strings%20-%20That%20Home%20Far%20Away.gp?dl=0

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 9, 2021 9:15 AM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@rg Interesting to read this as i am pretty much of the same opinion about speed, I play GCD licks around 

say Roll in my sweet baby's arms progression, I'am ok until around the 120 BPM then the wheels come off although

on a good day i can hit 130 which in most jams is still slow.

Regards Tony Rice, I have been watching a lot of him recently, Is it only me, because when he takes his break 

Most times i totally loose the melody of the song or tune dose anyone else agree with me?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 6:21 PM
C White, fransverboom, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I put a lot of time and effort into learning the theory. I figure to be a better mechanic you need tools and knowledge. Same with music. If you have nice tight instrument and a little knowledge and intelligence the brain will do the rest. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 8:23 PM
Susan Wagner, fransverboom, John and 2 people reacted
(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

Have any of you seen Tyler Grant? he is on Facebook and does a Monday night jam along every week. I think its at 7:00 pm central time he does three jams a slow, med. and fast jam. if you follow him on facebook he post the set list on Sundays.  It's pretty neat he runs it like your at real bluegrass jam.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 8:46 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@rg I agree totally about slowing things down, even as a finished product. Some times they just seem to be going for speed over quality. Devin made a comment on one of his lessons about not only slowing down but playing quietly to better learn a piece. that helped me a lot. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 9:28 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@yiwork   Yes ive seen this but its 1am here so a bit late to play along, I' be getting divorced.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 9:37 PM
Susan Wagner, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@yiworkthats pretty cool.

ill definitely need to check that out.

thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 9, 2021 10:40 PM
Susan Wagner, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
Page 1 / 2