Steve Earle talking...

Notifications
Clear all

Steve Earle talking JTE

Page 2 / 2
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@wjssavhotmail-co-uk

I'm not surprised. He started out in New York in the 60's and moved to Austin where he became a big player in the outlaw music scene with Waylon Willie and the boys. He had a real up and down career with some alcohol problems. He had pretty much a cult-like following in Texas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2021 10:36 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Basically he ruined his career with his drinking and behavior and his drinking and behavior made his career. He wrote Mr. Bojangles in jail, drunk. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 16, 2021 10:50 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  I always heard his concerts were a lot of fun if he actually showed up. lol 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2021 11:10 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Sounds like John Fahey, although Fahey was truly mentally ill and he self medicated for years. In some of his earlier live music performances he'd come out on the stage with Coca-Cola in one bag and a bottle of whiskey in the other, sit down and not say a word to the audience, then play some amazing guitar stopping now and then to take a slug out of each bag. He'd play and drink until he was practically falling off his chair, and then leave. 

He was the stuff of legend, LOL.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2021 2:55 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Sounds like my brother ( but without a guitar)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 17, 2021 4:47 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  Sounds like some of the people I used to work with (but add a 100 ton freight train.} Thank goodness they straightened that problem out in the 80's.  🤨 🤨 🤨 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2021 10:54 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Yea my son in laws Dad worked for BNSF. He was a very bad alcoholic or drug addict depending on the day. They tried to help him but they ended up getting him off the rails only for him to become a pseudo hobo in the end. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 18, 2021 1:22 AM
jrick92 and Susan Wagner reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

That's sad but I did meet quite a few happy hobos over the years. I don't think I would trust the unauthorized riders very much these days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 18, 2021 10:52 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

He knew every train and knew all the routes. He collected maps too. He had a collection of train sets. Sad 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2021 8:01 AM
jrick92 and Susan Wagner reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  I was always running into hobos and rail fans that knew more about the trains than I did..lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 10:37 PM
Page 2 / 2
Share: