Forum

New to country and ...

Notifications
Clear all

New to country and bluegrass music

Page 2 / 3
(@longbill)

I've followed your advice and bought GP for android. It's great and I've started to work on some tabs.
The only problem I encounter is that I can't zoom the tab. I've chosen "big" characters, but it's still too little to be really confortable. Maybe they'll fix this in a next update.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 1:23 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Yeah, I hear you. I have mine set to the large score size and then turn my phone sideways. I run the speed setting on slow until I can learn the measures then turn it to normal speed once I learn how to play all the measures. I have to do this a lot when playing Tony Rice because well.... It's Tony Rice haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 1:39 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@jlselfincgmail-com)
Eminent Member

Bill Monroe, “The Father of Bluegrass Music."

Jimmy Martin, “The King of Bluegrass Music.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 2:25 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I also use playsongnotes for a $3 a month Patreon. So many others. Lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 5:54 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@longbill)

I've spent a large part of last evening listening to Doc Watson. It was a wonderful discovery (and Im sad I had to wait 35 years to ''meet'' him).

I've listened to a ''greatest hits'' and I've loved, among many, those two songs : Rye Cove and Dream of the Miner's child.

Now I have to work my fingerpicking deeper !

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2020 4:25 AM
fransverboom, John, Jocelyn and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@longbill Gotta love Doc Watson, 

interesting fact about Doc is that he went

blind at an early age and still went on to be an amazing flat picker. He roofed his whole house blind. Not much stopping that man.

Devin has a number of Doc Watson lessons on the site: Tennessee Stud, Black Mountain Rag, Worried Blues and my favorite little Sadie. I’m sure there’s more but definitely enough there to keep you busy. Being that Doc plays fast and also syncopated rhythm it can seem hard to play his stuff smooth but if you take time and practice each measure slowly and Repeatedly muscle memory will kick in and you won’t have to think while trying to play. You can just focus on playing and the speed will come. Just take it one measure at a time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2020 7:26 AM
fransverboom, John, Jocelyn and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I was watching Billy Strings play a Doc Watson song. He played the entire song with his eyes closed and the same expression on his face that Doc always held. He channeled Doc into that song 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2020 7:46 AM
(@longbill)

Awesome to have Doc Watsons songs lessons here. Im gonna pick one and stick to it. Then I'll keep you posted of my progress !

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2020 8:10 AM
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

I won’t weigh in on classic country as I don’t have much to add. Yes, I’m watching the Ken Burns series too and learning. 

But, I do like a lot of the New Country stuff. The AppleMusic New Country playlist is a goto for me. I think there are a ton of new country artists that are great. Sure, a lot of rock chord sequences but since I’m no purist, they sound good to me. Some great voices out there...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2020 10:50 PM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, John and 4 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee I have seen billy play a lot of songs with hi eyes closed

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 12:00 AM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, John and 3 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

I consider Gram Parsons first solo album GP to be one of the most beautiful and seminal albums of all time.  I still have it on vinyl and someone will have to prize it out of my cold dead hands to get it.

The follow up Grievous Angel is a gem too.

And let's not forget The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Yes, I'm a big Gram fan. I'd put Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Steve Earle up there too.

If you're a Dylan fan, Nashville Skyline is one of the great man's finest.

And don't forget The Louvin Brothers for a more old school take.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 12:00 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

@dom  The Flying Burrito Brothers brought me back. I spent many years living the hard life up in Mendocino County. The group had a hide out compound up a logging road where they lived a creative lifestyle. They played a lot of unofficial gigs in a local hippie bar named the Caspar Inn. Hard core hippie bar. Lots of gauze and Birkenstock’s !! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 12:23 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@jerseychicadee

Birkenstocks?

Re Gram. Yep, you get the Burritos and Emmylou and James Burton & co. So a rich seam for music lovers to mine.

Actually it was Elvis Costello who turned me on to Gram via the Almost Blue album from 1981 where he covered two of Gram's songs. Another big country record for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 2:41 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Birkenstock’s are sandals made in Germany. Very ‘in’ with the hippie crowd when worn with wool socks

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 5:25 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, dom and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Oh yeah, Flying Burrito Brothers takes me back, too. 

Nashville Skyline was a great album.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 6:43 PM
fransverboom, John, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
Page 2 / 3
Share: