New to country and ...

Notifications
Clear all

New to country and bluegrass music

Page 1 / 3
(@longbill)

Hello,

As mentionned in the title, Im "country-illiterate" 😉
My favorite genres have been so far rock, blues and reggae and I want to discover something new.

On spotify, I've been listening to Johnny Cash, Merle Travis and Alan Jackson (greatest hits) these last weeks and I really loved what I've heard. I've also listen to an old very famous banjo player ("Papa sometheting") who had the reputation to be always angry, but I can't remember his name...

Well, my question is simple.
Could you please list for me 3 country and 3 bluegrass albums that I MUST hear to build myself a solid culture ?

Thanks for your answers,

Guillaume

Topic starter Posted : August 4, 2020 6:11 AM
fransverboom, John, Jocelyn and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

That is a good question and I'll be checking back to see what others say. 

I'm 65 but fairly new to country and bluegrass myself so I wouldn't know what to recommend as far as country and bluegrass albums. I would recommend watching Ken Burns' documentary, "Country Music." It's long but entertaining, and I learned a lot watching it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 8:21 PM
fransverboom, dom, jerseychicadee and 4 people reacted
(@cmw)

Outside of George Strait, Reba McEntire, and Garth Brooks I can’t really speak to the country side but a few solid albums from the newer bluegrass side I think you would enjoy are

Allison Kraus and Union Station: Live

Tony Rice: Bluegrass Guitar

The SteelDrivers: Reckless

I don’t know. I think they’re solid. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 8:41 PM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, John and 4 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Bluegrass

Tony Rice  manzanita or cold on the shoulder

Doc Watson. Best of Doc Watson

Billy Strings   Home or turmoil and tinfoil

Country

Hank Williams jr

Aaron Lewis

Luke Combs

Alabama

these are my favorites 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 8:50 PM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, John and 4 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

And of course Charlie Daniels 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 8:50 PM
Susan Wagner, John, Jocelyn and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m sticking with John Prine, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt. Those are off the main stream singers, songwriters. Kind of hippie/country/ storytellers I like the hippies. Kris Kristopherson too

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 10:19 PM
fransverboom, dom, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@longbill)

Awesome ! Thank you so much for your answers, it opens a lot of perspective !
The only name I know from those you mentionned above is Townes van Zandt. I love his songs so much and Im actually working on "Nothin'" theses days.
Well, thanks again, Im gonna dive deep into the names you mentionned and share here some of my preferences in the next few days !

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 2:10 AM
(@g)
Noble Member

Guillaume,

Doc Watson plays some fingerstyle blues as well.

If you get guitar pro 7 you can get the guitar pro files which has the tab for both of these songs and can play them back at

a slower speed so it's easier to learn. Both files are on the Mysongbook. https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=guitar-pro-whats-new.  

Guitar Pro 7 is also a great tool if you write music and want to tab it out or play it back.

Here are a couple of links to some fingerstyle songs that he plays. I hope you enjoy them.

Deep River Blues

Windy & Warm Doc Watson

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 7:08 AM
(@longbill)

Thank you @rg !
I don't have guitar pro yet but I've heard it's a cool software. Im now considering buying it. I'll just have to check if it works fine on my android device before.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 9:14 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

There is a trial version to check it out! I found a buddy to share it with. It’s $70 for a subscription and you get up to 5 computers access. So we’re paying $35 each and sharing it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 9:41 AM
(@longbill)

It's good to know, thanks !

In fact, I don't really use my computer... Im always with my tablet or my phone. There's an android version on google play but I don't know if it's a real version of guitar pro.

Either way, there's nothing urgent for me : I really have enough with the tabs here and on youtube to work with.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 10:39 AM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@rg Brilliant Thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 11:47 AM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

The Earls of Leicester, They have released two albums recently.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 11:50 AM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@longbill I have that app on my phone and it's great too. I just don't think it has the songwriting capabilities. The app is like 7 bucks. Definitely worth it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 12:30 PM
fransverboom, John, Jocelyn and 4 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@longbill Guitar Pro is what Devin uses. He also has a great lesson showing exactly how to use it. If you get Guitar pro you can pay 2.99 a month and get Mysong book which will give you access to a ton of songs that have guitar pro files. The Doc Watson "Deep River Blues" song is on there but I didn't see a lot of country or bluegrass on there which is a little disappointing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 12:34 PM
fransverboom, John, Jocelyn and 4 people reacted
Page 1 / 3
Share: