Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Memorization

Page 1 / 2
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

My brain does not want to memorize anymore. I think it’s full. 

Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2020 10:07 AM
John, johnny S, Jocelyn and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Mine will memorize but after about a week it will forget 1/2 of what I knew. And I think when I push new stuff in there I forget other stuff I knew before LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2020 12:31 PM
John, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

For sure it's a challenge memorizing music and lyrics. I have newfound respect for performers. The amount of memorization they have to utilize is pretty impressive. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2020 3:24 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
(@j-phillips189btinternet-com)
Reputable Member

@rinny51 reassuring to know , I feel less alone!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 1:23 PM
John, Susan Wagner, Jocelyn and 2 people reacted
(@katharina)
Eminent Member

The older I get the harder it becomes for me to memorize music and lyrics 🙈

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 1:25 PM
(@oldtimeplayer)

Some suggestions for a typical country song which will have a chorus that repeats. (Guaranteed results for any pop music form). Start with that chorus. If you're lucky it has a catchy hook and it'll just stick.

Next, learn the last verse and move backwards! Hank Williams tucked his worries underneath his arm and scatted right back to his daddy's farm. Why did he do that? He had the Honkey-Tonk Blues.

Now why did young Hank have that particular form of blues? He'd stepped into every joint in town. The city life was getting him down. Before the city life got to him he'd been out on the dancefloor wearing out his shoes. He'd woke the next day with some regrets. The last question we must ask is how did he set out on this path? We know he left his home on the rural route and told his Pa he was goin' steppin' out.

By now you begin to get the picture. The song is a story. By learning first how the story ends, you can construct how it occurred. 

This works well for me along with repetition....burning the lyrics to memory on my commute by listening to a favorite recorded version. Well that's MY method except to say if you're into 100 verse English Ballads you're on your own!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 7:10 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Sometimes the song is like telling a story. I find those ones are easier to remember. I also found that I know the beginning and up to the chorus of a lot of songs lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 11:06 PM
(@jlselfincgmail-com)
Eminent Member

I learn/memorize from endless repetition, relating what I’m trying to learn to something I already know, I live, eat and breath it until I have it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 12:01 AM
John, Katharina, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@jlselfincgmail-com sometimes you just have to keep grinding right!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 12:10 PM
John, Katharina, johnny S and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@oldtimeplayer That's a great approach, Brian! For sure country music is a story in each song. That reminds me of an old joke I heard awhile back. 

What do you get when you play country music backward?

You get back your wife, your dog, and your truck.
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 3:09 PM
John, Katharina, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@alicelarhotmail-com)
Eminent Member

I got into guitar just about 4 years ago (I'm old) and thought that I'd never be able to learn by hearing songs. When I was young, I had a hard time memorizing piano pieces.  But I've discovered something that works for me. I listen to and try to play  a song - at a slow speed -  over and over.  THEN I look at a tab version.  Somehow hearing/playing it first and then following it up with visual helps me memorize it pretty easily. Who knew that could work!!

Alice

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 9:18 AM
Jocelyn, John, Susan Wagner and 4 people reacted
(@jlselfincgmail-com)
Eminent Member

@alicelarhotmail-com That's how ya do it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 9:26 AM
Jocelyn, Alice, Susan Wagner and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve always had a photographic memory but not anymore. I’m blaming the fact that I don’t HAVE to memorize much anymore but my kids say I’m just losing my mind

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2020 9:58 AM
Jocelyn, Susan Wagner, John and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

For some reason the first verse and the chorus are always the easiest to learn. I really have to grind it out on the back end of songs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 11:22 AM
Jocelyn, Susan Wagner, John and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

My Rule is, Never learn a song with more than 3 Verses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 4:16 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: