Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Blisters

(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I have some callous on my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finger tips. That’s good. Now when I play the upper palm of my fretting hand right under the pointer finger is getting a burn but won’t callous. I feel it and have to concentrate to keep it from hitting the 1st string. It’s worse on the C and Am chords. Help a beginner please?

Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2020 12:01 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I always figured it just takes time to build them up. I try not to press too hard on the strings. For some reason, starting last night, my middle finger has sort of a stabbing pain in the tip. ☹️ 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 12:05 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

The caps aren’t my problem. It’s the area right at the base of my 1st finger. I’m hitting the 1st string with my palm. I concentrate not to let my palm drag on it and next thing I know I feel that buzz burning. I’ve had to put a bandage on it sometimes and then it sounds like a tap when it hits. I’ve stopped playing thinking it’s my house speaker ticking! I’m trying to hold the neck/ headstock up higher. It happens on both of my guitars so it’s my form I’m sure

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2020 12:36 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I was trying to duplicate what you're describing, and maybe you're just gripping the neck too hard? Haven't had this issue myself but I could see how you could get some pain at the base of your pointer finger by grabbing the neck with more pressure than needed. I'm just guessing that that is the issue, but I hope you get it resolved.

Right now I'm dealing with a bit of a problem myself. We had a huge tree taken out that was lifting up the pool deck and getting ready to topple over into the neighbor's yard. The landscaper wanted $800 to take out the stump so we could replant a smaller tree, and we said, "No thanks." Now we're trying to dig the stump out ourselves and my hands just ache from using shovel, pick, axe, etc. Didn't even practice yesterday my hands were so sore. Maybe it would have been better just to pay the $800 - but that's a lot of moolah for us! I could buy another nice guitar with that much $$$. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 3:05 PM
Eric Reinhardt, Katharina, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

@shysue.  Yea I tend to have quite a death grip on the neck. Lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2020 5:09 PM
Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner, Katharina and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  Yep, I get a death grip on the neck when I'm trying to do barre chords. Every thing I've seen and read says it shouldn't hurt to do barre chords but I haven't found out yet how to do them without a very hard grip, pushing with my thumb under the neck. There are some days when I can just do it with ease, but those days are few and far between. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2020 3:57 PM
Alice, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Does it come and go or is it always there?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2020 8:53 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

It doesn’t get red or raised at all. It kind of stings like a burn. It’s definitely the Little E string that’s burning it. Goes away right away most of the time. Sometimes I play a little longer than I should 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2020 11:48 PM
Jocelyn and Susan Wagner reacted
Share: