Forum

Making progress

Notifications
Clear all

Making progress

Page 1 / 2
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

So I’ve been working on playing clean. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I’m coming into the room yesterday and I hear my (adult) children discussing my guitar playing. Now my daughter hates any noise whatsoever (except hers, hers is ok). Everyone else’s is too loud, bothers her and requires her to snap and snarl loudly. I actually overheard her say (Outloud) my playing is getting better. Now, to  any normal person living in a multigenerational home, this wouldn’t be much of anything. Coming from my daughter this is Epic!! 

Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2020 1:29 PM
fransverboom, j.phillips189, John and 4 people reacted
(@morrow1616)
Trusted Member

That is awesome!!!   Congratulations

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 5:19 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@rickmcdanielme-com)
Trusted Member

Positive feedback from children is awesome, they are a tough crowd. Nice work!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 6:32 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

My kids are smaller but occasionally they will hear a song on the radio and say “that’s one that dad plays” so at least I know they are listening sometimes 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2020 11:08 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Children are often good teacher

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 2:56 AM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

My daughter expressed an interest in learning. After 20 seconds trying to hold down a D chord she gave up with an "Ouch! that hurts!" and went back to her ipad.🙄

But she's very complimentary of my playing which is nice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 9:37 AM
fransverboom, John, Katharina and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I still have hope for my grand daughter. My son (36 years old) has a nice guitar but he’s freestyle. Won’t learn chords at all. Just makes noise. I show him what I’m doing and I know he wants to do it. I always was interested in music. My kids are more interested in TikTok 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2020 9:49 AM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@dom i bought a half size guitar for my daughter and tabbed out twinkle twinkle little star for my daughter. The nylon strings were easier on her fingers but she lost interest too and went back to her Ipad LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 12:07 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve had my eye on a Luna Dragon. Sweetwater has them on sale For $69 right now with this COVID crap I can’t work so it’ll wait. She pretends on the uke but not interested in fretting at all. I make her think she’s playing something. She thinks we’re a rock band (7 years old)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2020 12:39 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Wow, that is progress! To hear your daughter compliment your playing is a wonderful thing. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 2:56 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@rinny51

Well to be fair, I had guitar lessons at school when i was fourteen with a nylon string Spanish guitar and dropped it pretty quickly. Waited a few more years to get the bug full and proper. I can hardly complain if my daughter is not following in Ricky Skagg's footprints!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 3:51 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

Another point us guitar players easily forget, is that ramming the ends of your fingers up against a piece of wood via steel strings is a fairly masochistic and counter-intuitive pastime that is actually rather painful. Of course we've done a cost benefit assessment and decided it's worthwhile, but that's not obvious to everyone who encounters the instrument. It's easy to see why many people don't feel compelled to build up thick layers of fat on the ends of their fingertips to make it possible. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 4:04 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 4 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I think a lot of people have the impression that it's easy but find out fairly quickly that it's a challenge. Especially when you're young.

My step-grandmother gave me a nylon-stringed Spanish classical guitar when I was 13 and she showed me how to play a chord or two. But the neck of the classical guitar (at least this one) is quite a bit wider than a steel-stringed guitar, my hands were not very big, and I got frustrated fast. I would come back to it now and then but lost patience with the guitar.

A few years ago in my late 50's I decided maybe I was mature enough to take up guitar again. 😏 I did a lot of research for a good beginner guitar and bought a Yamaha FG for a bit under $300 and really put some consistent effort into learning. The Yamaha was actually a lot easier to play than the nylon-stringed classical guitar and, well, what do you know, consistent practice and effort yielded results! 

It makes me kind of sad that I didn't just try a different guitar all those years, because it made a big difference, for sure. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2020 4:08 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, John and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

My back yard neighbor just asked me (through the fence) where I take lessons. I said in the kitchen. LOL I gave her CGO url. I’m still laughing. I’m used to no one being around here during the day. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 11, 2020 4:05 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

All's i get from my Daughter is  (I hate that Banjo music) 😀 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2020 6:50 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: