Forum

Quiet Practice Elec...

Notifications
Clear all

Quiet Practice Electric Guitar

(@elma-phud)

Hi all,

I have a dilemma for my practice having just moved into a new apartment. I have always played acoustic, however the noise resonating out of an acoustic is just not an option any longer so need an electric which is much quieter.

I want an electric which most closely mirrors an acoustic from a playability standpoint (body shape, nut width etc) as I want it to feel most similar to my acoustic so my practice on the electric is beneficial for when I can transfer back to the acoustic and when I do open mics.

Unfortunately, in the UK all shops are still closed so I'm not able to go into a store and try out guitars, so looking for guidance here.

I've looked online at semi-hollows, but worried they may end up being too loud as well. There are also solid bodies but unsure if that will be too different from an acoustic. Does anyone have any guitar recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

ps I've tried every reasonable volume reduction approach that exists on the internet!

Topic starter Posted : February 3, 2021 3:32 AM
jrick92, John, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Personally I think any electric guitar will translate over to acoustic. It may feel a little different but the fingerings and strumming concepts are the same. A traditional electric will pretty much produce no sound. I would get an effect pedal and plug-in some headphones.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2021 8:44 AM
Elma Phud, jrick92, John and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve started to shop for electric ‘paraphernalia’ lately. Electric is so far beyond the actual guitar. Picked up a little 40 watt amp and pedal and headphone set up last weekend. Haven’t really done more than test it all out as of yet. Penny and Baby Blue have pickups and work with the set up nice but I play at odd hours so any volume or noise or light can be an issue. I’m looking to pick up a nice starter electric that I can play silently in my room at night (lifelong insomniac #nightshiftruinedmycircadianrhythm)  The entire electric transition isn’t very mobile or cheap.  Currently, my mostly unused living room houses most of my clutter. Talking with my Sweetwater rep about a Gretsch vs a Tele vs a PRS. I like the way Penny sits in my lap, the feel of the Fender neck and the body shape of the PRS. I don’t want a heavy guitar. Stayed tuned for more “Binge” posting. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2021 9:57 AM
John and Susan Wagner reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I have a Gretsch G2420 that I really like. It's a hollow-body electric and it sounds pretty good unplugged but doesn't quite have the volume a straight up acoustic has. At $449 it's a decent price for a good guitar. I upgraded mine a bit with Grover tuners and had a set up done, and it has great, low action on it making it fun to play. I can actually do barre chords on this guitar that I can't do on any of my acoustics. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G2420SLVA--gretsch-g2420-streamliner-village-amber

P.S. I do not work for Gretsch. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2021 12:30 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member
Posted by: @rinny51

Personally I think any electric guitar will translate over to acoustic. It may feel a little different but the fingerings and strumming concepts are the same. A traditional electric will pretty much produce no sound. I would get an effect pedal and plug-in some headphones.

I have a Gibson SG that I played a lot when noise was a problem. I just used my Roland micro cube with headphones and set it on "acoustic". It is way easier to play barre chords, for sure. It makes some noise but it wasn't a problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2021 8:48 PM
Share: