Forum

Do Strings Sound Be...

Notifications
Clear all

Do Strings Sound Better?

(@shysue)
Famed Member

This may just be my imagination, but have you ever noticed that the longer new strings have been on your guitar the better they sound? I mean, I know they stretch a bit after they're put on the guitar and you have to continually retune for a few days, but I just noticed that the Woodtones I put on my Taylor sound so much better after they had been on for a few weeks. And, I hadn't played the Taylor for awhile.  

Don't think I've ever noticed this with any other strings I've put on my guitars. Interesting. 

Topic starter Posted : January 28, 2021 4:46 PM
Eric Reinhardt, jrick92, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I find After a month of normal playing time the strings start to loose there tone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2021 5:03 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Again, I totally agree. They DO improve. I was just playing Penny and thought maybe I should change her strings but they still sound and feel great so I’ll wait. Roadie needs new strings though. He’s not sounding as good as he once did. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2021 5:03 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

On mine the tone of the strings sounds better. But maybe I don't play as much over a month as you do, John. I'm often jumping from guitar to guitar, too, so I don't play the same guitar all the time. Such is the burden of owning too many guitars, LOL. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 28, 2021 6:03 PM
Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@shysue I tend to play mine one at a time for weeks or months at a time.  I haven't played anything but the Martin since I started here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2021 11:25 PM
Alberto Paiola, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I think they sound better after a few weeks, and then over time will start to sound dull. That’s when I change them

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 29, 2021 8:48 AM
jrick92, John, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@georgeanddoris66hotmail-com)
Reputable Member

I find the strings sound great at first, then the settle in and work great for a while and then I notice that the low E strings start to sound thumps and dull. After that, then the rest slowly get dull. I also notice that the finish on the strings start to loose their physical lister as well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2021 3:05 PM
jrick92, canuck, John and 4 people reacted
Reputable Member

String companies make products that sound unique and pleasing to the player. This is normal. Some use American wire, others use Chinese wire. Some use a hex core and others do not 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2021 6:15 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m still resistant to changing out Penny’s strings. I play almost all of my guitars everyday, most of the time. I was thinking I would get better if I tried to play just one but I love my babies,  I hate to neglect them. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2021 8:59 AM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  I've been guilty of going a couple of months without even looking at two of mine. That's not good. They at least need to be tuned up and checked out every day or two.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2021 9:04 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

I put a new set of D'Addario 12's on last week after many months with the previous set, and they are just starting to wake up. I haven't enjoyed the break in period much as they need a bit of time to settle down. I expect them to hit their peak in a couple more weeks before plateauing for a couple of months, after which they gradually lose their bounce.

Putting on new strings is less about the strings - which are usually fine - and more about giving the instrument a clean. This involves polishing the frets with some 0000 wire wool, wiping all the dust from the nooks and crannies with a damp cloth, putting on some wood cream/polish, and giving the fretboard ten minutes soaking in lemon oil. Followed by a truss rod tweak.

It's not so much about the strings, but an opportunity to give the instrument a bit of TLC. I think they appreciate it, and I enjoy doing it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2021 5:20 PM
Susan Wagner, jerseychicadee, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@bstrings)
Estimable Member

I've tried numerous different strings and the best I have found are Elixir Phosurous bronze Custom lights. 

They are expensive but definitely worth it hands down if you want that raw Outlaw drop D country sound.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2021 12:02 AM
Reputable Member

Santa Cruz makes nice strings too 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 25, 2021 9:16 PM
Reputable Member

GIF

Some companies use string engineers like Curt Mangen ( who sells his own brand of guitar strings ) to design strings for them. I did not know that. Someone told me this while we were on vacation in Florida recently 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2022 10:55 PM
(@dick-hauser)

I had a Fishman "Blackstack" soundhole pickup installed on one of my guitars.  I sometimes play with or without the amp.  I did notice that things sounded better thru the amp, and I did not have to change strings on that guitar as often as my other guitars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2023 10:16 PM
Share: