Page 1 / 2
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Does anyone use Fast Fret?

Topic starter Posted : November 19, 2020 3:47 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve seen it in the store but never spent any money on it. I use some Dunlop goo stuff or Zager string wipes

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2020 9:53 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I have never used anything on mine except a rag

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2020 11:42 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I bought one a few months back but don't think it helps either on prolonging string age or playing ability.

A GUITAR GIMIC I SUSPECT.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2020 6:50 AM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I don’t even wipe mine down 😕 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 7:46 AM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I wipe them down with a damp rag about once a week. I keep a clean make up brush and a nice microfiber rag in every guitar bag. Two of my guitars have a satin finish so I wipe em down often. I don’t want to get a dark oily spot where my skin hits the surface.  I tend to snack and always have a cup of coffee close at hand while playing. The black and bourbon finishes on Goldie and Roadie show prints, dust and rub off from the string coating. It skeeves me out because I know it also contains my own skin slough and cooties from the world too. I just shined up the frets and fretboard on Roadie. I noticed too much crude on the fingerboard which I attribute to everyday life.  Skin Lotions, pizza, essential oils, dog hair, etc... throughout the day, gross. The oils can erode the delicate finishes. Right now I play Penny more because she’s new. She’s glossy.  I keep Goldie by my work station and play on my 2 —15 min breaks.  I keep Roadie by my couch perch and Tay by my bed. The poor neglected Fender, in her gig bag,  is in the dining room where there is a sweet shelf to keep her safe. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 8:20 AM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Never tried it, but if it helps get rid of the dragging sound on the strings when you're trying to play fast I'd be all for it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 6:28 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Not sure about the damp rag 🤔 🤔 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2020 7:58 PM
(@jesse-g-ridgefield-wagmail-com)

@shysue Have you ever tried using Elixir strings? They're much quieter than regular strings because they're coated with something. I use them on guitars where I'll be doing a lot of sliding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 10:16 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

Been using it for six months. And I think i'm addicted to the smell of it! Like marzipan or something.

It seems to keep the strings up to scratch too, but even if you don't have a guitar you need to sniff this stuff!😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 8:38 AM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jesse-g-ridgefield-wagmail-com  I used to use Elixirs on all my guitars, but for some reason I just don't like the sound of them anymore. They sound tinny to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 7:03 PM
fransverboom, John, dom and 2 people reacted
(@jesse-g-ridgefield-wagmail-com)

@shysue They do sound different, and it's hard to describe why. Tinny is probably a good word. They are slick and quiet though. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 7:30 PM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, dom and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I agree Sue. I have 4 sets left from a multi pack I bought. When I put the Woodtone’s on last Sunday I broke the D string and had to put on an Elixir. It’s been bugging all week but I don’t want to break open a whole set of the Woodtone’s. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2020 12:06 AM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, John and 2 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@jerseychicadee

My sympathies. it's really annoying when you bust a string on the first tune up. I haven't done it for a while, but have done it a few times in the past when i used my ear and a tuning fork.

I'm using Nickel Bronze D'Addarios which have a silver finish (as opposed to bronze) and they are pretty good. Those woodtone folks wanted nearly 15 dollars in postage to the UK so I'll be sticking with D'Addario for now.

I used to like Elixirs, and found they lasted longer, but I stopped buying them ages ago. Prior to these strings I tried Medium gauge John Pearse strings on Devin's recommendation. They were good too, but i'm enjoying being back on Lights again now. I have a pack of EJ 16s so they will be next.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2020 9:46 AM
(@johnnyt)

I've used it a bit, but agree that i don't see much difference in string appearance or life with it or without it. Wiping strings with a soft cloth does make a difference though. I'll say that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2020 12:23 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: