Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sound recording

(@griffs-bluegrass)
Trusted Member

Any tips for recording from Macbook. Just tried recording a song but it sounds awful. Is it worth investing in a USB microphone ?

Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2020 5:24 AM
John, Alice, Jocelyn and 3 people reacted
Topic Tags
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I would be interested in this too. I record stuff on my iphone but sound isn't great. I would understand if it was just my voice that didn't sound great LOL 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2020 3:32 PM
John, Katharina, Jocelyn and 2 people reacted
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

Sorry as I think I’m late to the party in responding. 
I just started down the path of recording (and driven from virtual private lessons). 

But a few (amateur) learnings:

Yes, an external mic is a given. I have an aging Mac Air that I’m recording with. Using the internal mic is just a non-starter. I’ll avoid getting technical (I’m a CS type), but you’ll never get acceptable audio results unless you invest a bit into a mic. 

Cheapest option: a USB condenser mic like a Snoball. Good enough? Not sure as I didn’t go that route. I still worry about the load on your CPU multiplexing to service the incoming audio. 
But, I think you’re up an running decently for $40ish?

For $200ish you can get a full on (condenser) mic and an interface box. Look on CraigsList. I got a very nice Blue Spark for $80. $180 mic. Essentially new. When I say “full on”, this means that it has an XLR connector so you can essentially use it in a pro audio/stage set up. There are many I/F boxes out there by Focusrite or Prosonus...

And, it’s beyond the extent of my response to get into the detail of Condenser vs Dynamic mic. Condenser mics are probably what 90% of the YouTubers and Bloggers use.
I see them all the time on CL. This is the entry point. 
Anyway, hope it helps and that we’ll see a post sometime. 
K2

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 8:51 PM
Eric Reinhardt, Jocelyn, John and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@k2kwiatgmail-com 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 2:43 PM
Eric Reinhardt, Jocelyn, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
(@scooter)

good luck with getting into recording.  This is a whole other kettle of fish and it takes a lot of determination to obtain a decent recording ( though it is interesting and fun to work with recording technique ).  

Perhaps the simpliest "first attempt" is to try using a pocket camera ( perhaps not a phone type ) to provide both the video and audio.  See how that works, though might not be great.   Best to not set the camera at a distance to show you playing, because then the mic is too far away and all the various ambient room noise is picked up by the mic ( refrig, air con, etc ).  The mic should be set up close, in order to reduce feedback from natural room reverb from various hard surfaces.

There are many considerations, include room setup ( for echo off the walls, etc ).  Generally, the microcphone ( preferably a minimum of a USB mic ) is set up to point at the 12th fret area of the neck, in order to avoid some of the "boomy" tones from the sound hole.   And generally, the microphone should be set up within 2 feet of the 12th fret, but if you have a descent system ( ie. condenser mic and digital interface and computer recording software ) it helps.  

Devin does a terrific job with his recordings and he makes it all appear "easy" because we don't see all the "behind the scene" effort that it takes for him to produce his videos.  There are many ways to record and Macs include Garage Band as a basic included program.  This is somewhere to begin, by minimumally using standard default plugins within Garage Band and at least a decent USB mic.  However, there is a lot of extra steps, if you really want a decent recording.

There are some good lesson sites for recording music, but it all takes time...  

good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 6:57 AM
Jocelyn, Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
(@scooter)

If you are trying to record "both" guitar and voice, then it can help to have the microphone placed with more emphasis on the voice, but it all depends on what your trying to achieve.  

Perhaps the most simple way to record the sound, but with very good audio results is to use a Zoom Recorder ( like a Zoom H4n ) as this a very reliable piece of gear and then you can transfer the file to your computer ( or even use it as your condenser mic ).  The basic unit comes with high quality condenser mics built in.   There are various models to chose, but the 4Hn allows 2 external mics to be plugged in, if you prefer.  They cost a bit, but well worth the $$, in order to keep things dead easy.

Then just record yourself video with anything like phone or camera or Mac Quicktime.  Bring the video and the Zoom audio into your iMovie program ( included in Macs ) and detach your video audio and synch up the Zoom audio.   Then Bob's your uncle...

good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 7:12 AM
Jocelyn, Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @trippin-stringsgmail-com

good luck with getting into recording.  This is a whole other kettle of fish and it takes a lot of determination to obtain a decent recording ( though it is interesting and fun to work with recording technique ).  

Perhaps the simpliest "first attempt" is to try using a pocket camera ( perhaps not a phone type ) to provide both the video and audio.  See how that works, though might not be great.   Best to not set the camera at a distance to show you playing, because then the mic is too far away and all the various ambient room noise is picked up by the mic ( refrig, air con, etc ).  The mic should be set up close, in order to reduce feedback from natural room reverb from various hard surfaces.

There are many considerations, include room setup ( for echo off the walls, etc ).  Generally, the microcphone ( preferably a minimum of a USB mic ) is set up to point at the 12th fret area of the neck, in order to avoid some of the "boomy" tones from the sound hole.   And generally, the microphone should be set up within 2 feet of the 12th fret, but if you have a descent system ( ie. condenser mic and digital interface and computer recording software ) it helps.  

Devin does a terrific job with his recordings and he makes it all appear "easy" because we don't see all the "behind the scene" effort that it takes for him to produce his videos.  There are many ways to record and Macs include Garage Band as a basic included program.  This is somewhere to begin, by minimumally using standard default plugins within Garage Band and at least a decent USB mic.  However, there is a lot of extra steps, if you really want a decent recording.

There are some good lesson sites for recording music, but it all takes time...  

good luck

Interesting!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 4:25 PM
Share: