Great song 👍 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2020 4:37 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member
Posted by: @rogerdalestatonyahoo-com

Good tune. Check out the Tuba Skinny version on YouTube. Any Old Time

I LOVE Tuba Skinny! We saw them playing live at DBA last time we were in New Orleans. Great fun! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2020 7:25 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, John and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@shysue

Love this comment:

“ To call Tuba Skinny revivalists would be to miss the point. The New Orleans ensemble, often seen busking on Royal Street, have never conceded the death of the early jazz and blues they play... That’s a tribute to the masterful ease of these relatively young musicians who laze and weave around each other as if bebop never happened.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2020 10:21 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

This is the story of my life in many diversely different genres. As an OLD nurse, the nurses coming out of schools now think we’re all stupid and they’re geniuses. A few years back, I had a crochet site on Etsy, someone actually served me with her copyright on the crochet pattern I was making. I sent her a photo of the same pattern my grandmother crocheted over 60 years ago. Told her to sue me. Never heard from her again. Here’s another example. You didn’t invent the sun. 

Signed, Cranky Old Lady 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2020 11:39 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, rogerdalestaton and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  Are you referring to Tuba Skinny playing an old Jimmy Rodgers song? Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2020 5:49 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jrick92  That is a great quote. I love the fact that they're keeping this old music alive! And they're so good at it, too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2020 5:50 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Not Tuba Skinny. My high school had a Dixie Band that played in Disney World on opening Day. Music genres evolve constantly. There’s always be groups keeping the genre alive. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2020 6:46 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 9:11 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Well, I gotta say Tuba Skinny has played songs I had never heard before. There aren't many, at least that I know of, who are playing these 20's and 30's songs. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 8:18 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I think the girl sitting on the drum kind of sets the mood for the whole group. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2020 9:49 AM
(@rogerdalestatonyahoo-com)

@shysue They also do a really nice version of "Your Cheatin' Heart." Unfortunately, I understand that Erika Lewis, vocals, has left the band and the band doggie, Tupelo, has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Nothing stays the same.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 7, 2020 8:06 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@rogerdalestatonyahoo-com  Yes, I had heard that Erika Lewis moved back to her home state a couple of years ago. We were lucky when we saw them at DBA she was there to do a couple of songs.

There are so many songs they do so well. Egyptian Ella, Jubilee Stomp, When I Grow Too Old to Dream, among others. I just really enjoy watching them perform. Being in New Orleans to see them just made it all the better. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2020 11:05 AM
(@rogerdalestatonyahoo-com)

@shysue I have great respect for Busking musicians. Although I have found paid gigs to be easier in some ways, there is no substitute for the freedom and excitement of busking. I am pleased you had that opportunity to see T.S. in person.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 8, 2020 11:36 AM
Share: