Forum

Western representat...

Notifications
Clear all

Western representative of C&W?

(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

Hi All,

Have been lurking on the site for awhile so it's time to officially intro.

Ken from Evergreen, Colorado -- in the mountains West of Denver at 7700'.  About a 1/3 of the way up to the Summit County ski areas from Denver.

Originally grew up in Michigan but haven't lived there since university days (U of M undergrad).

Crazy music route to where I am today. Classically trained woodwind through early adult years -- Saxophone was primary instrument.

But about a year ago, wanted to re-engage in music as I was bored with an early retirement an need a focus for my OCD. So now have been working hard at guitar and Dobro.  I take classes at a great community music school that we have in Denver called SwallowHill.  I'm in a beginning Bluegrass ensemble there but typically play Dobro as we usually have plenty of guitarists. I really enjoy flat-picking and fingerstyle guitar although I'm a novice to those styles. Love rock but I'm definitely enjoying learning bluegrass, country, folk, and Irish music.

Also, to leverage some of my woodwind background, I do play Whistle too (think tin whistle, penny whistle, irish whistle).  Occasionally it fits well on fiddle tunes especially those that have an Irish origin. Sounds great with fiddles.

So, greetings from the high country!

Topic starter Posted : July 4, 2020 8:07 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, Dan and 9 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Welcome!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 10:08 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, jrick92 and 4 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Welcome Ken,

That’s a beautiful part of the country,

especially out by Rocky Mountain national park.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 10:20 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, jrick92 and 6 people reacted
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

@rg

For sure. Typical of most, we don't get up to EstesPark very often. Usually only when friends or relatives are in from elsewhere.  I live in the watershed of Mt Evans and Bierstadt so we have continental divide views from most of Evergreen. Great 14ers close by also include Greys and Torreys.  Surprisingly too, we have some views of Pikes Peak which is amazing considering how far South it is from us.  Pikes is a massive that is pretty unique in how much of the state it is visible from.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 4, 2020 10:48 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 5 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@k2kwiatgmail-com it’s crazy last time I was at Estes Park was June and it started snowing up high haha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 11:15 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

@rg

Isn't that normal where you are?
We always get a couple of last season blasts.

Nice thing is the next day it’s usually sunny and dry and it all melts.  Well at least below treeline.

I had a very snowy drive coming back from Moab, UT through the high passes on Memorial Day.  Again, fairly typical.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 4, 2020 2:43 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Howdy Ken from Evergreen!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 3:42 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 4 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Welcome Ken!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 4:25 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Hi Ken, Welcome to CGO! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 4:36 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Welcome Ken, Your in the right place to improve your Bluegrass picking

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 5:08 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @k2kwiatgmail-com

Hi All,

Have been lurking on the site for awhile so it's time to officially intro.

Ken from Evergreen, Colorado -- in the mountains West of Denver at 7700'.  About a 1/3 of the way up to the Summit County ski areas from Denver.

Originally grew up in Michigan but haven't lived there since university days (U of M undergrad).

Crazy music route to where I am today. Classically trained woodwind through early adult years -- Saxophone was primary instrument.

But about a year ago, wanted to re-engage in music as I was bored with an early retirement an need a focus for my OCD. So now have been working hard at guitar and Dobro.  I take classes at a great community music school that we have in Denver called SwallowHill.  I'm in a beginning Bluegrass ensemble there but typically play Dobro as we usually have plenty of guitarists. I really enjoy flat-picking and fingerstyle guitar although I'm a novice to those styles. Love rock but I'm definitely enjoying learning bluegrass, country, folk, and Irish music.

Also, to leverage some of my woodwind background, I do play Whistle too (think tin whistle, penny whistle, irish whistle).  Occasionally it fits well on fiddle tunes especially those that have an Irish origin. Sounds great with fiddles.

So, greetings from the high country! 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2020 5:10 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

@k2kwiatgmail-com Not in California

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2020 6:32 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, k2kwiat and 5 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

That's a very interesting musical path.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2020 11:58 AM
Scott Larson, John, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shalvors140gmail-com)

Hi Ken

another new guy... I am in Estes Park, moved up here few years ago from Boulder anticipating retirement.  Its all good for sure..  Never going back down.

Keeping the house and guitars humidified,well that is a big challenge.  The park mountains maybe beautiful but is it alway dry or drier here.

How do you manage that?  I try to keep them out so to say with the thought of "if you see them you will play them"  direction...

Steve   

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2020 12:28 PM
Scott Larson, John, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
 Dan
(@dan)
Eminent Member

Welcome Ken!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2020 11:55 AM
Scott Larson, John, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
Share: