Forum

To right a wrong

Notifications
Clear all

To right a wrong

(@luc-guideau)
Eminent Member

Hi all country lovers

I am a member for several weeks now. But I was so impatient to learn what Devon has to teach me that I get through this introducing step without saying hello to all the numerous students attending to these valuable lessons.

So please let me right that wrong.

My name is Luc as the apostle Luke but with the French orthography.

I live in Normandie, and have already spend more that fifty years on this planet.

Back when I was a teenager, I wanted to put country on the guitar I have been given. I went to a music store where I have been introduced to Emmylou Harris. Consequently I bought all her records from 1982 to 1987.

But tabs and songbooks of that kind of music are rare in the French music shops. So I have chosen Paul Simon to improve my strumming and picking.

Learning alone is not so easy and the progress were weak during the thirty consecutive years. My assiduity as well.

And 2020 came with a serious accident and a necessary recovery at home and that virus... My new LAG guitar bought a year before was of great comfort in these trouble times. And internet as well.

My first searches were to Bob Dylan and Joan Baez who were seen on French TV at that time. But I was still far from what I was listening to with Emmylou Harris in the 80s.

One of the most famous Emmylou's song has been written by Dolly Parton: To Daddy. My curiosity drove me to other great songs of that prolific writer. I have been overwhelmed by Coat of Many Colors which recalled a bit to me my own childhood. And the country music flame which was in my heart now burns again as a camp fire. I am now plugged on Nashville and Tennessee news, and I am a regular viewer of the Grand Ole Opre on Circle.

Seeking some country lessons on YouTube, I naturally found Devon's brillant lessons as most of you. 

Incidently, the European television has broadcasted a film about country music early ages in June and I have been stunned by Maybelle Carter singing Wildwood Flower. It reminded me the atmosphere we listened into Dolly Parton's work. Devon has a specific lesson for this song...

So I decided to join late in June.

Here am I. But I write too much. Back to the great Devon's lessons.

Best to you all

Luc

Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 3:38 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 7 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Welcome!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 4:06 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 4 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @luc-guideau

Hi all country lovers

I am a member for several weeks now. But I was so impatient to learn what Devon has to teach me that I get through this introducing step without saying hello to all the numerous students attending to these valuable lessons.

So please let me right that wrong.

My name is Luc as the apostle Luke but with the French orthography.

I live in Normandie, and have already spend more that fifty years on this planet.

Back when I was a teenager, I wanted to put country on the guitar I have been given. I went to a music store where I have been introduced to Emmylou Harris. Consequently I bought all her records from 1982 to 1987.

But tabs and songbooks of that kind of music are rare in the French music shops. So I have chosen Paul Simon to improve my strumming and picking.

Learning alone is not so easy and the progress were weak during the thirty consecutive years. My assiduity as well.

And 2020 came with a serious accident and a necessary recovery at home and that virus... My new LAG guitar bought a year before was of great comfort in these trouble times. And internet as well.

My first searches were to Bob Dylan and Joan Baez who were seen on French TV at that time. But I was still far from what I was listening to with Emmylou Harris in the 80s.

One of the most famous Emmylou's song has been written by Dolly Parton: To Daddy. My curiosity drove me to other great songs of that prolific writer. I have been overwhelmed by Coat of Many Colors which recalled a bit to me my own childhood. And the country music flame which was in my heart now burns again as a camp fire. I am now plugged on Nashville and Tennessee news, and I am a regular viewer of the Grand Ole Opre on Circle.

Seeking some country lessons on YouTube, I naturally found Devon's brillant lessons as most of you. 

Incidently, the European television has broadcasted a film about country music early ages in June and I have been stunned by Maybelle Carter singing Wildwood Flower. It reminded me the atmosphere we listened into Dolly Parton's work. Devon has a specific lesson for this song...

So I decided to join late in June.

Here am I. But I write too much. Back to the great Devon's lessons.

Best to you all

Luc

Well done and Welcome to CGO

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 4:10 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Welcome Luc! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 4:16 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Welcome Luc! I like Emmylou, too, and a while back I searched out tabs for her music. She seems to play quite a bit in the key of B flat for some reason and I really struggled with trying to play her songs. If I was smarter with music theory I would try transposing the songs, but I'm not. LOL 😀  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 6:05 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 5 people reacted
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

Bienvenue, Luc!

And, as an aside I love the detail of the various artists‘ influences. 
I grew a rocker type and love discovering a whole new world of country (& Western). Bluegrass, and Trad styles - also past the 50-mark. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 7:26 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 6 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Welcome to CGO Luc. I’m leaving in Quebec...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2020 4:08 AM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

Good to see you Luc!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2020 7:13 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, John and 3 people reacted
(@fransverboomgmail-com)
Reputable Member

Welcome Luc !

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 6:18 PM
Scott Larson, Luc Guideau, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@shysue  I could be wrong but I think using a capo on the third fret and playing in the feel of G will get you B flat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 9:26 PM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

Welcome Luc. I like (Coat of many Colors) also.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 9:33 PM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, Luc Guideau and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Ive always been a hard rocker but I also am an old hippie flower child bell bottom and Birkenstock wearing California fun n sun dope growing DeadHead too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 11:13 PM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@ewartboer)
Eminent Member

Welcome Luc, I like the story and saw already a video in which you showed your playing. Keep going 👍🏼

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2020 10:29 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, Susan Wagner and 4 people reacted
Share: