Forum

Notifications
Clear all

I'm Baaaack...

(@davidkellemsgmail-com)

I was briefly signed up quite awhile back but never used the membership. Didn't have a drednaught acoustic at the time. Well, I now have the finest one I've owned in over 50 years. It's a Yairi DY90 from 1982 that was willed to me by a wealthy friend who went to Japan in '82 and commissioned it from Kazuo Yairi. My friend was a collector of high end acoustics and the Yairi was his first and remained in his collection the longest. It was his favorite which was why he wanted me to have it. I rarely play it in public without being asked how much I'll take for it!

I've been interested in bluegrass most of my life since living near Louisville, KY years ago and seeing all the great seminal bluegrass artists in small clubs, many of them at the start of their careers. Devin's website is the best instruction I've found. I routinely recommend it to people in person and in online forums. Anyway, good to be here.... and now, to APPLY myself!

Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2021 1:24 PM
canuck, Scott Larson, John and 5 people reacted
(@dan_homewood)

Good on you buddy! I love CGO, but I only manage about 20 minutes a day of practice. It's hard when you want to run before you learn how to walk. Devin does a great job on teaching this stuff. Cheers and happy new year!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2021 2:05 PM
rickmcdaniel, canuck, Scott Larson and 6 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Welcome back, David. I agree with you about Devin's instruction. He's very straightforward and the lessons are clear cut. I'm actually learning how to play better! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2021 5:10 PM
canuck, Scott Larson, John and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Wow what a blessing from your friend!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2021 8:00 PM
canuck, Scott Larson, Susan Wagner and 4 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Welcome back!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2021 8:12 PM
Scott Larson, Susan Wagner, John and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

Welcome David, Interesting guitar history.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2021 8:22 PM
canuck, Scott Larson, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Welcome back and happy picking 😀 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2021 2:00 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
(@fransverboomgmail-com)
Reputable Member

Welcome back !

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2021 2:44 PM
Scott Larson, John, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@helmut)
Eminent Member

But you were lucky with the guitar. It has to sound really good. I would love to play a guitar like that, if I can play a little better here. I bought a Martin D28 myself last month. But I'm not completely satisfied with the sound of the strings. And the strings that Devin recommends here are not available here in Germany. Have fun with your Yairi DY90.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2021 12:51 PM
(@canuck)
Estimable Member

@helmut  I do not believe they are available here in Canada either, but I ordered two sets online..even with the dollar exchange and shipping they were a good deal..I have them on my Martin D16 and can't recommend them enough ! And the D16 is an affordable and under-rated guitar in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2021 7:15 PM
(@helmut)
Eminent Member

Thank you very much David,

then I'll order Martin's recommendation and try it out.

Thanks again Helmut

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 8:36 AM
(@helmut)
Eminent Member

Hi David,

just ordered the Woodtone Strings.

I'm really excited.

Greetings Helmut

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 12:36 PM
Share: