Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How Ya Goin!

(@conman-tom)

Hey Everyone,

Tom here from Western Australia, I'm new hear and actually new to country music in general. I've been playing electric for a number of years playing and listening to anything from The Beatles, Cream and Led Zepplin to Tool, Metallica and a lot of extreme metal in general. I have never really enjoyed the Country music I have been exposed to before, which is mainly radio-friendly country-pop and so I never really dove further into the genre.

But I recently discovered and love Marcus King, both his playing and voice are amazing. While watching videos of him on youtube I stumbled across a video of Billy strings and his Dad playing what I now know is Bluegrass and it absolutely blew me away. So I dug deeper and started listening to a lot of the older guys like Doc Watson and Hank Williams, which is all fantastic. So I have since bought my self an acoustic, signed up to this amazing website and I'm having an absolute blast learning this stuff.

Anyway good to meet everyone and stay safe,

Cheers. 

Topic starter Posted : September 18, 2020 4:09 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, Ewart Boer and 8 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Welcome Thomas!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2020 7:57 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, dom and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Welcome to the ‘other side’! I’ve been a hard rocker a long time but still love the folksy finger picking and plucking sound too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2020 8:59 AM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @conman-tom

Hey Everyone,

Tom here from Western Australia, I'm new hear and actually new to country music in general. I've been playing electric for a number of years playing and listening to anything from The Beatles, Cream and Led Zepplin to Tool, Metallica and a lot of extreme metal in general. I have never really enjoyed the Country music I have been exposed to before, which is mainly radio-friendly country-pop and so I never really dove further into the genre.

But I recently discovered and love Marcus King, both his playing and voice are amazing. While watching videos of him on youtube I stumbled across a video of Billy strings and his Dad playing what I now know is Bluegrass and it absolutely blew me away. So I dug deeper and started listening to a lot of the older guys like Doc Watson and Hank Williams, which is all fantastic. So I have since bought my self an acoustic, signed up to this amazing website and I'm having an absolute blast learning this stuff.

Cheers. 

Hi Tom, I have a Facebook friend Called Jimmy Rush from Sydney he's a Bluegrass Guitar player you should look him 

up on Facebook. Welcome to CGO.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2020 1:21 PM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, dom and 5 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Hi, Tom! Welcome to CGO. There's a lot of good stuff to learn here. I know what you mean about some country pop music not being my cup of tea, so to speak, but there are many country/western and bluegrass artists I do like. it really is a large genre of music. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2020 7:43 PM
(@conman-tom)

@rinny51

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 22, 2020 4:59 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 4 people reacted
(@conman-tom)
Posted by: @wjssavhotmail-co-uk
Posted by: @conman-tom

Hey Everyone,

Cheers. 

Hi Tom, I have a Facebook friend Called Jimmy Rush from Sydney he's a Bluegrass Guitar player you should look him 

up on Facebook. Welcome to CGO.

Oh right on, I will have to check him out!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 22, 2020 5:01 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 4 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

Welcome Thomas. Never heard of Marcus King, but will look him up.

I'm on the Gram Parsons, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris, Townes Van Zandt side of the country tracks. Plenty of great stuff to learn here!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 11:42 AM
(@luc-guideau)
Eminent Member

Thomas

Welcome.

If you heard Led Zeppelin and is discovering Blue Grass music, just try Stairways to Heaven adapted by Dolly Parton with a Blue Grass style.

Hope you will like it as I do.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 12:26 PM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, jrick92 and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member
  • @domDom we must be neighbors! I’m loving the finger pickers style of Clark,Van Zandt, Earle, Crowel just to name the big dogs!  
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 3:02 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@luc-guideau Great performer 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 4:18 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I have to say, I never knew Dolly Parton did covers of Led Zeppelin songs. Interesting. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 5:42 PM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@luc-guideau)
Eminent Member

@shysue

I am glad to notice a humble French man as I am now knows more about Dolly Parton than some native Americans.

I dare to take this as a compliment.

Thank you Sue

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2020 2:01 AM
Scott Larson, jrick92, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@luc-guideau  I have heard. and I am discovering and I did enjoy this.

This post was modified 3 years ago by jrick92
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2020 9:57 AM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@luc-guideau  Last night hubby & I watched a live version of Dolly doing this song and she did a fantastic job!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2020 7:46 PM
Scott Larson, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
Share: