Forum

Where should i begi...

Notifications
Clear all

Where should i begin?

(@mango)

Hello, I'm new to this website and guitar! And in terms of all of its contents, there's a lot!!! So I'm having trouble where the best place start is for me, who is more of an intermediate player that's just trying to learn theory. Thanks!

Topic starter Posted : December 11, 2021 10:16 PM
George Lange, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@bstrings)
Estimable Member

Welcome Matthew,

I have found there’s some theory packed into each lesson. For me theory is better learned while playing. Devin does a pretty good job covering theory while teaching songs. I hope you have fun here. I’ve learned some good stuff here that has really helped me be a better player. I hope you’ll have the same experience. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2021 7:41 AM
George Lange, fransverboom, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I started here around March/April 2019 , a relative beginner,  with years of music training, piano, flute, piccolo, oboe, and a minute of guitar from a Sears instructional LP (bought from the catalogue around 1970)) and a DU-UDUDU G, C, D chord skill. When my grand baby was born we watched a little girl singing Tonight You Belong To Me accompanied by her Daddy. I was hooked. Started buying ukuleles (4) because I’m retired, broke and wanted guitars that I could NEVER afford (Hummingbird, 000’s, etc…) I bought a cute little Fender, Malibu Player Alkaline Trio. No electronics, mahogany, loved it. I found Devin, on YouTube and immediately paid to join. I started going into the lessons and going to the very first lesson Devin posted. I starting on the very first lessons m, step by step, with Devin.  Then, I started skipping around. I still go back to the very first lessons and work on the lesson step-by-step.  The first song I started learning m, Banks  of the Ohio. I pretty much have Jerusalem Ridge to memory and pretty good speed not as fast as the overview but can keep up with play through as fast as the video will go. With the backing track about a 1.3 speed perfect. I’ve been working on Jerusalem Ridge over a year I’ve had it memorized about a year, getting faster and faster all the time. And I do Ultimate guitar app, Fender Play app, Tony PoleCastro (TAC), and Yousician app. On Patreon, I subscribe to a couple peep also. Mauricio Murua, Randy Shartiger, who is a Luthier.  Mauricio posts a lot of finger exercises very Zen like exercises. Some way hard for me. Currently,  I’m working to perfect his Omega 3 (Triad Harmony Exercises). He works the entire fretboard. His exercises make me leave the nut more than I’m used to. 
Now, I’m bought and sold several guitars, including that first little Malibu Alkaline Trio (which I think I’ll buy another because I miss the little cutie)  

Let’s say I WAS retired, because,  in order to fund my Guitar AquisitionSyndrome/Addiction, I went back to work, well outside my area of training(35 years as a Registered Nurse), in a call center (work at home ) as a training supervisor support coach. 

i ‘practice’ about an hour minimum early am, mid day and evening. I’ve accumulated 7 acoustics, 2 without pickups, mostly parlor size small body guitars. Recently I’ve ventured into electrics with 3 , 2 Gretsch Electromatics, one with a Bigsby,  a Gibson Tribute. I’ve picked up a little luthier skill but recently started taking my acquisitions to a guy for set ups. I messed up the binding on one of my little ones so I’ve given up anything more advanced than a string change or a fret polish here and there. Bought a Boss Katana KTN 100 too. I don’t sing at all, amazingly. My first bachelors degree was in Music Education, voice. I wanted to be a back up singer (for Sonny and Cher, their divorce shattered my dream) because I was theory focused. 

My kids have figured out I’m nuts, (only took them their entire lives)! I tell them it’s their inheritance so shut up and enjoy it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2021 12:46 PM
George Lange, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

Welcome Matthew. The more I learn the less I know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2021 9:14 PM
Share: