Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Thumb pain...

(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Hello! Is there anyone among you who has ever had pain in the thumb ( the hand who holds the pick)? How did you relieve this? Need some help thanks!

Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2020 9:10 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m a user of essential oils for my aches and pains and most other ailments. I use many different oils for aches. Wintergreen, Frankinsense, Birch, Cedar, so many more. They’re amazing! I use a name brand that I love. My brand is doTERRA. They have a pain formula called Deep Blue. Smells like BenGay but it works. It’s an online product line. A multi level marketing business out of Utah. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 12:42 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, k2kwiat and 3 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

@jerseychicadee

thanks a lot jerseychicadee, I’m gonna try it if I can get it in Quebec. For now I’m playing with a .73 mm pick to recover. Have a nice weekend!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2020 1:40 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I have never came across this one before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 5:59 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Maybe I hold my pick too tight, too much tension? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 8, 2020 5:43 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

The pain could be from holding it too tight. A couple of weeks ago I accidently flipped my pick into the sound hole of my guitar. 😮 After that I had a death grip on the pick which didn't help matters and made my whole hand tense up. 

There's a thumb pick that works just like a pick that you would hold between your thumb and index finger, except it's stuck on your thumb and you can never drop it. It's not your run-of-the-mill thumbpick though. I forgot the brand but I'll go look it up. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2020 7:01 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I have some thumbpicks that are basically just a flat pick and a thumb loop on a hinge. Black mountain picks. It’s thicker than I was used to at the time. I’ve since gone to my blue chip pick  I tend to drop my pick in the sound hole at least once a week. Lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2020 9:47 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I found the ones I was thinking of, they're called Herco. Or there's the Black Mountain picks like jerseychickadee said. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HE112P--herco-flat-thumbpicks-medium-gauge-players-pack

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2020 5:36 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

blue chip pick  has a thumb pick too

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2020 6:35 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

The Hercos are a little bit different, shaped more like a regular pick than the usual thumb picks. Thumb picks are usually (but not always) fairly thick. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2020 7:00 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I would also say probably holding on to the chip to tight. you have to find a comfortable way to hold it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 2:32 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

@rinny51

I think you’re right!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 10, 2020 6:49 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I like to hold it just enough that it doesn’t slip

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 9:33 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Hey Jocelyn, How is your thumb pain doing? Getting better?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2020 7:23 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

Hey Susan how’s it going? It still pain a little. I’m not smooth enough when I hold my pick so I’m working on it. Nice of you to ask...thanks Susan!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2020 3:53 AM
Share: