Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Nerves

Page 1 / 2
(@j-phillips189btinternet-com)
Reputable Member

I finally plucked up the courage to play a song or two from some friends the other night.  Every note i knew blurred and all of a sudden everything I knew I no longer knew.  My timings, my notes, my rhythm.  It was a mess.  Like most things is it just practice when playing in front of others?  Any tips on controlling the nerves?  Thanks for feedback!

Topic starter Posted : April 15, 2021 2:06 AM
fransverboom, George Lange, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@henry_5823msn-com)
Trusted Member

It's called Performance Anxiety. A lot has been written about it. We practice hard in the comfort of our homes and with Devin's and other websites. We think we're doing good in that sterile environment (and we are doing well) by ourselves. Then in front of others. all heck breaks loose we seem to forget everything we learned. I'm part of a group performing music for a memorial service this weekend and yes I will feel nervous as well. Take a deep breath and keep on playing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2021 6:00 AM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Keep plugging away at it. When I’m sitting here all alone I think I sound pretty spectacular. As soon as another human walks in plinker  tinker oops  takes over

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2021 10:13 AM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@alicelarhotmail-com)
Eminent Member

I have the same problem!  I've discovered that even when I have practiced and practiced and practiced, I still get nervous and mess up. However, I've also discovered that the more I play in front of others, the easier it gets with fewer mistakes.  Good luck with this! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 9:53 AM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Its all about experience the more you perform the more competent you will become and the nerves will ease after the first song.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 3:52 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

i sound bad even when alone so I'm no help. My granddaughter on the other hand sings great but she gets very nervous when singing in public. She still sounds great. She has done the national anthem for rodeos and basketball games at school and sounds good when singing karaoke in public. She hates it that she gets so nervous but I guess that's just part of it for most if not all performers.

This post was modified 3 years ago by jrick92
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 7:39 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I was sitting here last night all alone, playing guitar with Devin as usual. I sounded great! Then the dog barked and I heard someone come in. My grand performance was just ruined. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 8:53 AM
fransverboom, beardy, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I think it's normal to be nervous in front of an audience. Don't know how these musicians do it, especially in front of an audience of thousands!

Maybe if you went out and busked in front of a lot of strangers you'd lose your nervousness. Sorry, that's all I got. LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 5:40 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, John and 1 people reacted
(@canuck)
Estimable Member

Our granddaughter was here for a couple of days. She asked if she could try my guitar. She did take lessons for a while and wow ! Maybe it was the Martin but she couldn't put it down...and a beautiful voice as well ! I think it inspired both of us to work harder !

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 8:39 PM
(@canuck)
Estimable Member

Maybe there is hope for the next generation ! At 15 she liked songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's ! She even tried "House Of The Rising Sun"...that was a flashback !!!  lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 8:51 PM
(@georgeanddoris66hotmail-com)
Reputable Member

You are not alone. It happens to me too. Just keep performing in front of friends and evetually you will get it right. Persistency is the key here 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2021 12:17 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, j.phillips189 and 2 people reacted
(@christopher)

It happens to me too.  It has with all instruments.  It is mortifying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2021 1:16 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, j.phillips189 and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m good howling like a branchee

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2021 3:36 PM
(@j-phillips189btinternet-com)
Reputable Member

Thanks for reassurance everyone, good to know I’m not the only one!  I’m now taking my guitar over to a friends house and just playing without intent, it seems more relaxing without audience focus.   My cat remains my number one fan so I may ask everyone to wear a cat mask!  Perseverance remains on all fronts!😀

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2021 10:28 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@canuck  My GD is !6yo and loves the Beatles. I think she knows them all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 10:47 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: