Forum

Needed Double Picku...

Notifications
Clear all

Needed Double Pickup Guitar

(@davidkellemsgmail-com)

This will apply to all types of players. My dad bought me a single pickup Gibson Melody Maker within weeks of watching the Beatles first America appearance on tv. A rockabilly player in our neighborhood began teaching me. Before long an idea occurred to me. I told my dad my playing would never get any better with a single pickup guitar and I needed a double pickup. He said "I'll see what I can do". My dad had a habit of bringing home musicians from bar bands on weekends to let them sleep in our guest room. One weekend he brought a guy home who said to me "I understand you've reached your limit with a single pickup guitar?". I assured him that was the case. He asked to see my Gibson and began playing an instrumental version of a popular tv commercial for a beer everyone had the tune of in their brain in the 60's. It was awesome and immediately recognizable. I was stunned. He informed me I had an excellent guitar and to just start practicing more. I asked him how he got that good and he said by practicing 6 hours every day. As it turned out, he was the guitarist for a country artist named Roger Miller. Also, a few months later my dad showed up with the only electric Martin ever made briefly, a double pickup archtop f hole. By the way, it didn't ever make me a better player. That took time and dedication. I never managed 6 hours a day and my playing shows that very much!

Topic starter Posted : January 22, 2021 5:36 PM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Great story! 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 6:16 PM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Wow 6 hours a day. That's crazy! 

I usually get about 1.5 to 2 hours a day of practice in usually about 1 -2 days a week I can't play at all

just because life gets in the way haha. I'm always blown away by

these guys who are able to carve out that much time.

Their playing definitely shows all the hard work they put in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 6:29 PM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Nice memories.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 6:39 PM
Susan Wagner, fransverboom, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

Good story. My fingers wear out pretty quick but a good player would find a way to work around it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 11:21 PM
Susan Wagner, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@fransverboomgmail-com)
Reputable Member

Great story 👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2021 3:54 AM
Susan Wagner, jerseychicadee, John and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member