Forum

Memorize or Read th...

Notifications
Clear all

Memorize or Read the Music?

Page 1 / 2
(@shysue)
Famed Member

When you learn a new song, do you try to memorize it? Or do you read the tab sheet? 

Just wondered, because I have mostly just been reading the tab sheets or chord sheets and don't memorize anything. Now I realize that it's better to try and memorize a few songs anyway, because when we were up in Prescott and I got the little parlor guitar I realized there weren't many songs I could play without my music sheets! I was just trying to wing it with a few songs when we got back to the hotel and it was pretty much a disaster. There's a lot to be said for building a repertoire of songs that you can play by memory. 

I was able to pull up some songs on my phone, but it's really hard to see that little screen and play guitar, LOL. 

Topic starter Posted : September 26, 2020 5:55 PM
George Lange, jrick92, Ewart Boer and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I used to to have a memory but not any more. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2020 10:23 PM
Dan, jrick92, fransverboom and 4 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

My memory is not what it used to be either, but it's good for your brain to try and memorize things. Keeps the ol' brain challenged. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 27, 2020 6:50 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, John and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I have a handful of songs memorized. I am pretty good at remembering the chords, but when it comes to the words...I usually am good with the first verse and the chorus lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 8:48 AM
fransverboom, Ewart Boer, John and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I still know On Wisconsin on the flute and Color My World on piano and flute  by memory from 50 years ago!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 10:17 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, John and 2 people reacted
 gary
(@mrgary)

I Read the music. I don't try to memorize. I have to play it over and over and over and then I use a metro nome to try to increase speed then I realize I don't know it well enough to increase speed then I practice more and more till I get tired of hearing the song then finally !! my fingers figure out where they are supposed to be most of the time and I can get through the song not looking at the music and faking it just a few times EUREEKA! 

(2 yrs playing)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 8:44 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Yep, I have to play songs over and over, too. There were a couple of songs that I would do first thing when I started a practice session. I did get tired of playing them and I would rush through them just to get it over with and that's how I got faster at them. LOL 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 29, 2020 7:49 PM
fransverboom, gary, John and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I always make mistakes on songs I try to learn. I think I enjoy improv more. Who's to say that I messed up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 2:24 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I find that when I forget the songs I once knew it is easier to re learn them lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2020 10:57 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

Memory still works for me at 56 years young 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2020 2:08 PM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m 64. It caught me recently

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2020 7:28 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I don't know how but I've made it to 69

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2020 11:31 AM
John, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I'm 65 and still doing okay, memory wise. My back is another story.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 3, 2020 3:52 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@ewartboer)
Eminent Member

Memorizing songs is a skill I really want to learn more. I'm not especially good at it but I recently started with memorizing some simple songs which belong to my favorites. It depends also on the kind on player you want to be, but I think it is nice to have some songs in your pocket in case you have to play at the campfire somewhere.

It worked for me to start by recognizing the structure. Normally there is a lot of repeating of chords and once you see the structure it is much easier to get it in your brain. I believe to have read that also good guitar players are using this kind of memorizing technique. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2020 12:51 AM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

It is a skill, for sure. Especially when it's not something you've done very much of in the past. But it's a good brain exercise! 

I've got a couple of songs down, but mostly we go off the chord/lyric sheets. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 9, 2020 7:54 PM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: