Clear all

mandolin players

(@duanehoaglandyahoo-com)
Trusted Member

Anybody else dabble with the mandolin

Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2020 2:23 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I will be when I get my new one on Monday. Ordered this Washburn quite some time ago from Sweetwater, but because of the whole virus thing they've been kind of slow getting shipments out and this particular mandolin was on back order anyway. I've always wanted to play mandolin so I finally got one. 

It's a funny thing, but this Covid-19 has got me moving on doing things that I've put off for too long. I just decided I'm not going to wait for the "best time" to do anything anymore, and I'm just going to do it. Luckily my husband feels the same way, :^)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2020 3:21 PM
fransverboom, jerseychicadee, C White and 7 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Well I finally got my mandolin but it's not easy to play! Action on it is awful and it's going to need some adjusting. Probably replace the strings while I'm at it. It's not the cheapest mandolin but it's not top quality either. Oh well. Probably won't spend near as much time on it as I do my guitar, but it does have a nice sound to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2020 7:20 PM
fransverboom, jerseychicadee, C White and 7 people reacted
(@elliotsperlinggmail-com)
Reputable Member

@shysue Mandolins are tough, the right setup is so crucial to having a good time playing it. I ended up doing the setup on mine following a really good guide, ill see if i can dig that up and send it your way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2020 12:19 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@elliotsperlinggmail-com I would appreciate that! I'm new to mandolins but I know a bit about setting up a guitar. Thought it might be similar but then there are probably mandolin specific things I should know before I even attempt it. For instance, am I right in thinking that most mandolins have a floating bridge? I had seen that in some videos. Mine doesn't seem to have one but I'm not sure about that since I haven't changed the strings out yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2020 1:54 PM
Reputable Member

@shysue Alright, so I did some digging, and it was actually a pdf e-book sent out by Rob Meldrum over at mandolincafe. I'll share a link to the thread, and I believe you just shoot him an email and he will send you a pdf version. It was a great resource.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/98399-Mandolin-Set-up-E-Book-by-Rob-Meldrum

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2020 11:00 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@elliotsperlinggmail-com Great! Thanks for the link, I will check it out this afternoon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2020 3:22 PM
fransverboom, jerseychicadee, C White and 6 people reacted
Reputable Member

@shysue youre welcome! let me know how it works out

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2020 1:00 PM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I keep thinking I want to try that or the banjo, but then again I feel like I need to stick to the guitar

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2020 8:35 AM
fransverboom, jerseychicadee, C White and 3 people reacted
Share: