Forum

Guitar Center Ghost...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Center Ghost Town

Page 1 / 2
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Don't know if it's because of Covid or the bankruptcy re-structuring they just went through, but the Scottsdale Guitar Center near me was a depressing place to visit. Looked for a decent parlor guitar but they had very little in the way of inventory. Their acoustic room had maybe a tenth of the guitars they usually have on display. They've come out of bankruptcy in a better financial position but you sure wouldn't know it when you visit their store. 

I was looking to buy that Alvarez parlor guitar and I can't find it anywhere. Sweetwater doesn't carry Alvarez, Sam Ash is doing "ship to your home" sales only on this guitar, and none of the non-chain guitar stores in the Phoenix area carry it, new or used. Kind of frustrating. Musician's Friend is owned by Guitar Center but they do ship to your home.  Guess I'll check out Reverb next and see if anyone is selling a nice used one. 

Topic starter Posted : January 4, 2021 6:40 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I hear you there Sue! I hate the idea of paying the shipping on a return guitar. I found a mess of those baby blues on Reverb too. I had my Taylor and Fender on Reverb but got no hits there. I bought Penny off Reverb from ProAudioStar.  I’m pleased as peach with her. I deal with Butler Music a lot. Bought several Ukuleles from them. If you can find it online from GC at least you can return it locally. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 7:10 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

That's true. If I order it online and pick up at the store I can unbox it there and see if there are any issues. My concern with GC was that they might have a lot of display inventory they would try to pass off as new stock. I've seen them take a guitar with a cracked bridge and hang it back up on the wall, so I don't trust that they wouldn't take a display model and re-box it as new. If anyone's going to bang up the guitar I want it to be me. LOL. 

I found one used (no new) Alvarez MPA66 parlor on Reverb and they wanted $50 shipping for a total of $650. I can buy a new one with free shipping for $629 and tax. Probably end up around the same total price but one is used and one is new. I'd like a new one, please.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 4, 2021 7:27 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I didn't know that Guitar Center was having those problems but I don't go in there a lot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 11:26 PM
John, Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee That's good to know that you can return a guitar locally.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 11:28 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I had a guitar center about 10 minutes from me in California. In Montana the closest one is 4 hours away in Spokane Washington. Nearest music store is an hour away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 8:46 AM
jrick92, John, fransverboom and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

The acoustic room in the Fresno GC is pretty empty too! They had maybe 20 guitars on the walls. No ukuleles! The electrics are packed though! Amps crammed! Looking on Sweetwater, Adorama, Musicians Friend, Alamo, CreamCity, Music Zoo, etc...., Out Of Stock on so many little guitars. The factories are mostly shut down in the USA. Supply and demand is upside down in this time of isolation and panic. You’d think my acoustics would sell faster! I’m not coming down on my prices. I think the prices I ask are fair in the market. My guitars are basically brand new. I’m still reeling over the guy who had the nerve to off Ed me half my asking price. I had one guy message me with a long story about how his son loves music and would I lend him the guitar (he’s in NY, I’m in Ca, complete stranger) until he found a job!! I just say I’m not Walmart!
It’s the same thing at my work. A customer calls in and demands a full refund for some service they subscribed to for 2 years. Reason? We didn’t use it so why should we pay!! You subscribed to this. It’s been on your bill FOR 2YEARS! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 9:54 AM
Eric Reinhardt, jrick92, John and 2 people reacted
(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

@Eric Reinhardt Are you any where near Bozeman  I have heard good things abought Music Villa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 10:36 AM
Eric Reinhardt, jrick92, jerseychicadee and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  Yeah, that's why I hate selling stuff. Especially on CraigsList. 7 years ago I had a Yamaha FG acoustic I was trying to sell. Some guy called me and said he wanted to buy it for his kid who was taking music lessons, but he didn't quite have enough to buy it. Would I sell it for 1/2 of what I was asking? Sheesh. Told him I hoped his kid did well in his music lessons but I wasn't selling it for 1/2 what I was asking. Ended up selling it to my sister for less than I wanted, but it was my sister, LOL. 

I also hate when the first thing a potential buyer asks is "What's your lowest price?" I always want to counter with, "Well, how much are you willing to pay?" First one to say a price is on the losing end of the deal, at least that's what I've read in the past. It just seems like no matter how much you're willing to come down they try to force you come down even lower. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 5, 2021 3:34 PM
Eric Reinhardt, jrick92, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I just received an off for $56 off the PRS powder blue Sue. $521 from $579.on reverb  I’ve gotta think about that one. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 6:09 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I bought it and a strap. I’m going to hell. My son will about die IF I tell him. I hope it comes before he gets home from work. I don’t think he found out about the Orangewood yet. I hid the box in my closet 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 6:50 PM
Eric Reinhardt, John, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  I just came to the forum to tell you Sweetwater has the baby blue back in stock, LOL. It sure is a pretty little guitar. Sounds like you got a good deal on Reverb though.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 5, 2021 7:17 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  That's what makes it hard to sell anything, unreal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 10:13 PM
Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt, John and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  congrats, I hope you like it. Just be sneaky, lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 10:16 PM
Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt, John and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m certain wink 😉 😉 this will be my last guitar purchase.... lol