Forum

Gaining and Retaini...

Notifications
Clear all

Gaining and Retaining

(@g)
Noble Member

Was wondering how other go about picking up speed and rhythm in tandem faster? For me I unpack measures into smaller parts and play them over and over and over trying to up the speed a little more each time. I was just curious what others do in upping their skills.

Topic starter Posted : May 31, 2020 10:12 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I'm still working on it, but your method sounds like it would be an effective way to build up speed. It is a challenge, for sure. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2020 1:57 PM
jerseychicadee, Marc Piechowicz, C White and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

Sometimes it helps to print out tablature so you can write notes on it to remind or help you get through stuff

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 1:11 AM
jerseychicadee, Marc Piechowicz, C White and 2 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@rinny51 I do that when I’m learning new stuff that doesn’t have the tab scrolling at the bottom. Wish I had a book that was small enough to tote around but big enough to capture everything on two pages. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 6, 2020 1:01 PM
John, jerseychicadee, Marc Piechowicz and 3 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@rg it’s called an iPad LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 9:19 PM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@rinny51Mine’s the smaller one. It’s A little hard on the eyes. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2020 9:36 AM
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@rg I have the regular sized one, a couple more years I might need the big one lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 12:12 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

The lights are starting to get brighter for my guitar skills.  Thanks to DEVIN! And CGO!! I’m basically a guitar beginner. I started piano lessons around 7 or 8, played flute and piccolo and oboe in high school. Loved being in the BAND. Thought I wanted to be a backup singer for Sonny and Cher! As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, 47 years ago I earned a BA in Music Education but never used it.  I played some guitar while I was a hippie in the ‘70’s but never beyond G C D. Taught my daughter to play flute, my son drums, money on college education not well utilized. I played some Oboe, piano and flute in college while working on my humanities requirements for my BSN (nursing) and another BA in Abnormal Psych (never used that one either). Retired because of bum knees from nursing after 30 years. I got on a ukulele kick a few years ago. I have 3 ukuleles which my daughter hates to hear me play but I play anyway, perhaps just to spite her!
I’ve been driving Uber and Lyft but now because of my age and COVID I’m too scared to work. So as the nightmare continues, after 40 years without, I bought a guitar, cheaper but functional. I never really thought I’d do it but I had several guitars on my watch list on eBay and a seller made me a an offer right when I had enough money in my clutches. I picked up a Fender Malibu Alkaline Trio for $217.  Pretty little guitar. Nice tone. Great action. Accidentally signed up for Yousician for a year subscription. Oh well, $180 later. I found I could get 3 months of Fender Play for free. Then I decided I absolutely had to have a second guitar to keep upstairs so I didn’t have to pack my Malibu up and down the stairs. (I’m old, bum knees and tired!). I found a Taylor Academy 12e on Craigslist.  Sad story, old guy bought it, took 2 lessons and died. So now I have 2 guitars. I’ve bought 5 guitar lesson books and subscribed to countless YouTube channels for guitar lessons. Still not able to fret well or even play a song. Then somehow I clicked into CGO and my learning curve has shot up like the COVID infection at a millennial party!! I never thought I’d be learning Bluegrass Country skills (old headbanger here) but it’s working. About a week into this,  I started just running scales and learning a couple licks from Devin. Today I heard my notes ringing clearer than ever and I actually can play through a GDC progression with scale and riff solos!!  Whoot whoot!!! So excited. Not renewing my Fender Play subscription!! Sorry I’m rambling on but I’m stoked!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2020 11:29 PM
Jocelyn and Susan Wagner reacted
Share: