Forum

Flyaway Fingers

Notifications
Clear all

Flyaway Fingers

(@shysue)
Famed Member

I'm working on building up my speed on Jerusalem Ridge, but it's a struggle to keep my hands quiet when playing. As soon as I start getting fast my fingers come way up off the fretboard and slow me down. It's a weird thing and I don't know how to get past it. Frustrating. 

Any suggestions?

Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2020 7:09 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

I'm currently working on a guitar break from Billy Strings on that home far way "Album Version" not the current video version that's out now.

What I have found that has really helped me is to just play it at a speed over and over again that I can play where the notes sound clear and full.

I only play a few measures at a time until I can play it super smooth and then I up the speed. I start to trip over the strings a little but I just keep going until I reach the next level of beats per minute. It usually takes me about a week of practicing it for about an hour at time to reach the next level of beats per minute played smoothly.

The short answer to your question: Just keep putting in the work it will come. Subconcious muscle memory will kick in without you even knowing it the more you continue to play it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2020 7:21 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve gotten fast enough, with Jerusalem Ridge, to play along, clean, with Devin, on the highest speed. When I first looked over this piece,  I quickly exited as soon as the high strings part started. OMG the 5th fret! No way! I feel pretty accomplished at this point! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2020 10:15 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I haven't started this one yet but I definitely want to give it a try

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2020 12:01 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m telling you Sue, we should live closer to each other because this what I’ve been working on this week. I started a spider walk exercise on Saturday. Start at low E and spider walk across the string  (I)1st fret, (M)2nd fret. Spider walk across and back. Then spider walk across again 2nd fret then 3rd fret with M and R finger and back. Same with 3rd (R) and 4th fret(p). All the way up the neck. I’m surprised how weak my ring and pinky started on Saturda. by today, Thursday, I see a lot more control and steadiness. Pointer and middle fingers are strong and deliberate but man, the ring and pinky suffer. Next week I’ll move to a 1, 3 up and back then 2, 4 pattern. I found it on You Tube but it’s also in a Hal Leonard book (or 2) that I have. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2020 1:26 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
 Kate
(@kate)
Trusted Member

Tristan Scroggins did a mando lesson/exercise around this for Tunefox. I think it would be more of a workout on guitar but might be useful

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2020 5:37 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member
Posted by: @shysue

I'm working on building up my speed on Jerusalem Ridge, but it's a struggle to keep my hands quiet when playing. As soon as I start getting fast my fingers come way up off the fretboard and slow me down. It's a weird thing and I don't know how to get past it. Frustrating. 

Any suggestions?

Susan, I am sure you have heard this before. Slow is Smooth, Smooth is fast. Just keep practicing speed comes with time. When yo start to feel rushed is when you are gonna get your fingers all jumbled up. Concentrate on being smooth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2020 9:54 AM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

A great topic which always throws up a verity of useful tips but always comes back to, Practice slow and clean

the speed will come.     (Practice Practice Practice) 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2020 2:11 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Thanks, all. I have heard start out slow and the speed will come, but I just seem to be stuck at one speed. ☹ Jerusalem Ridge is one song I play every single day, and I almost have it memorized. Feel like I've reached this plateau I'm trying to break out of and it's quite a challenge. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2020 3:53 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  Ha! I've thought the same thing. If you lived closer we could get together and play guitars together. 

I do the spider walk for a warm up with all four fingers, four frets across the neck and then back, all the way up the neck and back down. It helps my coordination but I can't say it's helped my speed all that much. I also do a couple of scales for warm up.  

I'm impressed that you're keeping up with Devin at the highest speed! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2020 4:03 PM
fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@kate That was a good video, Kate. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2020 4:52 PM
fransverboom, Kate, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
Share: