Forum

First time Bluegras...

Notifications
Clear all

First time Bluegrass Jam.

(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

So I'm going to a real Bluegrass jam tonight. I don't know if I'm ready but I'm going to give it a try. These guys can really play so that makes me nervous but they keep asking me to join in so wish me luck.

Topic starter Posted : August 11, 2021 4:36 PM
Michael Graham, j.phillips189, Sev and 4 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

Have fun!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2021 8:12 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

How did the Bluegrass jam go Yiwork?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2021 5:03 PM
(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

@wjssavhotmail-co-uk Boy it was a lot of fun. 1 up rite bass, 3 fiddle's, 4 banjos, 2 mandolins , and 8 guitars. With all that going on know one could hear my mistakes and there were a bunch. This group has been playing together for some time so they have the songs down pat. I will have to get a list of the songs they play so I can work on them. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2021 6:46 PM
canuck, John, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@yiwork  That will be some good incentive to practice.

GIF

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2021 6:51 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@yiwork So long as it dose'nt put you of from going back, also you have met some new friends.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2021 6:06 AM
canuck, jerseychicadee, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@timdowney)

I've been playing for 2  - 3 years . I sought out a group of intermediate players  and was /am definitely punching above my weight. I'm old enough to not be intimidated and I'll try a solo for just about anything so mistakes pore forth from my poor guitar but it been the best thing for my playing . Everyone knows I'm an enthusiastic learner and that goes a long way. Also coming prepared with  worked out arrangements  and never passing when it comes around to your turn .We've got a much smaller core group so I try to have 3 known pcs.  in some stage of competency, be it  fiddle tunes or bluegrass standards . Usually I'll pick up a tune that someone performed  from the previous week that I feel I can tackle and work it for a few weeks til I feel its ready for the group

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2021 8:02 AM
j.phillips189, jerseychicadee, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
(@bstrings)
Estimable Member

@timdowney That’s really cool.

I’ve been playing for about 5 years now and I would love to go to a bluegrass Jam and play. I have a number of songs I love and play all the time trying to perfect
And add guitar breaks to. I can’t wait till the new Billy strings album comes out on the 24th of September. I’ve learned a number of his songs and they have really helped me reach the next level as a player. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2021 9:54 PM
(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

GIF

Okay I'm going for round two tonight. I had to miss the last jam because I went to see Paul Thorn play at the Chicago City Winery. I think that tonight I'm going try and pick a few songs that the group plays regularly and try and work on them like you guys suggested.  But the important part I am going to have fun with a nice group.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 8, 2021 4:40 PM
George Lange, jrick92, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
(@j-phillips189btinternet-com)
Reputable Member

good for you - you sound very committed so i'm sure you did great!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2021 3:54 PM
(@georgeanddoris66hotmail-com)
Reputable Member

That would be a great experience

GIF

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2021 12:47 PM
Share: