Forum

Dust in a Baggie

Notifications
Clear all

Dust in a Baggie

(@georgeanddoris66hotmail-com)
Reputable Member

GIF

Just attempting to learn a song played by Billy Strings and is being taught by another bluegrass player on the internet. The bluegrass riffs don’t sound so unknown any longer because of Devin now.

GIF

Topic starter Posted : October 20, 2021 4:46 PM
jerseychicadee, fransverboom, yiwork and 1 people reacted
(@bstrings)
Estimable Member

Agreed,

The song’s not too hard to learn.
it can just seem a little overwhelming when watching Billy play it at Billy speed.

I can’t play it at Billy strings speed but I did get the break down for the most part.

link to video 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ysljm30tgttfx8/DIAB.mov?dl=0

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2021 6:58 PM
jerseychicadee, fransverboom, yiwork and 2 people reacted
(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

@bstrings  Have checked out Lessons With Marcel on Youtube He does not  teach lessons but he tabs out songs. He has a ton Billy String songs and the tabs are free . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2021 6:11 PM
(@bstrings)
Estimable Member

@yiwork Yeah, Marcel 

is an awesome guy. He puts out new material every week. He also does custom transcriptions if you email him. They’re usually about 30-40 bucks. He’ll send you the tab and guitar pro file but he has a ton of Billy strings videos on his site that are all free. That’s how I learned dust in a baggie and Watch it fall.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2021 1:02 AM
jerseychicadee, George Lange, yiwork and 1 people reacted
(@yiwork)
Reputable Member

@bstrings I kind of thought you might of already knew of his channel. I do watch him and try to play along even if it is advanced for me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2021 5:00 PM
(@bstrings)
Estimable Member

Yeah,

I have to slow down a lot of his stuff to be able to keep up usually. If I find a song I really like I’ll stick with it for a few months and then I usually have it somewhat close to that speed maybe 75%. For me though I’m not real concerned about the speed, probably because I know I may never get there, but rather just being able to play each note clean and smooth and enjoying the feel of playing it. When I try to play too fast I usually fail and I miss out on the feeling and tone of playing it all the way through. I know it takes years of work to get to a Marcel or Billy speed and I’m fine blue collaring it and putting in the work. Don’t get me wrong I do try to step up my speed as I go but in my own journey I’m finding that I’m having to work more on staying committed to basics like committing to an up down pick stroke style of playing instead of caving to my old Hack style of picking and what I think is easy playing. I guess I’m relearning guitar a bit the right way and what I find right now is that way is slower but once that style becomes muscle memory I think the overall flow will be better and the speed will jump up to the next level. But it all goes back to that one thing of just putting in the work which has been a little harder now that work has picked back up. I used to practice 2-3 hours every morning but now it’s more like maybe 30 minutes every few days in the morning and then heavy on the weekends. I might need to switch up my routine a bit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2021 11:13 AM
Share: