Best Concert

(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

Kudos to Sue for inspiring us all. 

Best concert you’ve been to?

Topic starter Posted : September 5, 2020 3:25 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I don't know if this one was the best, but it was the most memorable. In 1974 I went with a bunch of friends to see California Jam. We left when people started chucking their plastic water jugs (that had been passed out to the audience because it was unseasonably hot for April). They were flying thru the air and hitting people and we'd been there all day, we were tired and sunburned and hungry and decided to get the heck out of Dodge. We ended up missing Deep Purple and Emerson, Lake & Palmer for the evening but decided that was better than getting clocked with a heavy gallon jug of water. 

Other than that it was a fun, all-day affair. We brought blankets to sit on the lawn, and Teddy smuggled in some jug wine and of course weed was being passed around all day. We got to see and hear all the other acts anyway, so leaving early wasn't so bad. I have the distinct memory of dodging water jugs being thrown as we left with Deep Purple playing "Smoke on the Water" on stage. It was a weird experience. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 6:53 PM
fransverboom, Scott Morrow, k2kwiat and 2 people reacted
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

@shysue

Is that the concert they have featured on AXS? Steve Wozniak (of Apple founding fame) essentially financed?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2020 12:00 AM
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

I should answer my own question. It’s hard for sure. 
Ok, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers at Cobo Arena in Detroit in like ‘81?

I live 8 miles from RedRocks in CO so I’ve been at a few that I always see later as concert videos. Ok, anything at RedRocks is phenomenal. I wish I could see all my faves play there. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2020 12:05 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@k2kwiatgmail-com  Wozniak financed the US Festival. The first couple were held in the SoCal area but I never did go to any of those. My friends did though. I think I had work that interfered with the dates so I couldn't go or some such thing. The first one had some great groups though.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2020 12:31 AM
fransverboom, k2kwiat, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

First and still the best. George Strait. I guess Montgomery Gentry was pretty cool too

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2020 7:40 AM
fransverboom, gary, Scott Morrow and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’m so jealous Rinny I wish I’d seen Tom Petty. The Travelling Willberry’s, oh my god, like a trip to a museum.  Then again, I wish I’d seen so so many others too. When you’re young you don’t realize these artists will be gone someday. Now I see them aging and think of the opportunities I skipped on to see them in person. 

I’m not a fan of big crowds. I had a FREE 3 day pass to Stagecoach, a few (a lot of) years ago, living in Rancho Mirage, and didn’t go!!! I didn’t know it was what it was, idiot! When I saw it on the news, Every night for 3 nights,  I watched and regretted not going. 

I watch many concerts done at RedRock, on YouTube. Such a beautiful place. Anymore, if it weren’t for YouTube all I’d see is the daily spinning and falling and stumbling my 7 year old grand daughter does. constant spinning. Sighhhh. She’s a natural born klutz, lol. she can trip on a hair. You can’t take your eyes off her. First she calls my name Look Look Look. Then she’ll trip on any and everything within 20 feet of her, usually me or my geriatric dog.  She should be a pratfall artist when she grows up.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2020 9:49 AM
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

There have been stretches where my dog and I do the stairs at RedRocks every day. In fact, I should start that up again. Of course at a given time there will be 99 others doing some form of exercise. 
It makes going to a concert that night feel like, “Ok, I’m at home...”. I probably wouldn’t feel that way if I were going to one of the Rave-style shows they have that my boys go to. 
Saw David Byrne’s tour there two years ago - stellar show, visually and musically. 

JChick: WOW, sounds like handful with your granddaughter?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2020 10:38 AM
(@donnymac)

I was fortunate enough to see Justin Townes Earle when he came over to London - just prior to the release The Good Life album. It was a great night, just him and his mandolin player and made all the more special given the recent tragic news of his passing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2020 3:11 AM
fransverboom, Susan Wagner, k2kwiat and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I just thought of the "best" concert I've been to, if best means one you had the most fun at. 

We love New Orleans - love the French Quarter, love the street buskers, love the food, etc. Last visit we saw Tuba Skinny live at d.b.a. on Frenchmen Street. We danced, we drank, just had a great time. My sister was with us on that trip and she got two signed CDs from them. Afterwards we walked back to our rent by way of Bourbon Street and hit a bar or two. Just a great memory from that trip. 

Sure wish we could go to New Orleans again. Or Nashville. Or . . . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2020 8:35 PM
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

That’s a good point. What really is “best”?

Heck, one of my most memorable concerts was taking my daughter and two of her friends to a Hanna Montana/Hillary Duff concert. They were so excited and it was a great show. Boy, that was a long time ago. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 9, 2020 6:52 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I drive ride share services for Uber/Lyft. I have an 8 passenger mini van so the big events are always busy and profitable for me. I go pick up a large group of 7.  I hear them talking about being from Alaska, heard them say how famous they are. They were telling me they came to Fresno from  the very center of Tanana, Alaska. The village is only accessible by seaplane or boat or ice road. I’m sitting there thinking yea right. Turns out they came to Fresno specifically because Stevie Nicks played one week and Metallica was the next week. Big fans, they planned this 3 days of travel gauntlet trip with a week at Disney/LA Adventures in between. They brought their kids, of course, an 8 year old and a 5 year old. Of course, they also spent a butt ton of money on tickets for the kids to attend with them. So, the day of the concert the 5 year old finds out there is a Disney Store in Fresno and opts out of the concert in lui of a trip to the Disney Store with her Grandmother. They tell me this entire story on the way to the venue. Just then, my phone rings. My ringtone, Enter Sandman. I laugh hard and say did you get the right Lyft driver or what!?!  They get out of the car at the venue. I bid them a fond farewell and raucous adventure. The lady hands me a piece of paper, propaganda for their ‘show’ I figured.  I throw it on the seat and wait for them all to clear the car. One of the guys says, stop no, no, no. That’s a ticket to the concert!!! Holy rigatoni!!! I parked that van so fast and we all ran into that place like chickens running from a Fox!!! They not only gave me a ticket, they got me drunk as a fool and we had to call an Uber to pick us all up!!! Best tip EVER!! They WERE the stars of Yukon Men. The family that raised the sled dogs. The Agnes Family!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 8:56 PM
Share: