Forum

Notifications
Clear all

No Pick Guard

Page 1 / 3
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I've noticed that my new Alvarez Parlor doesn't have a pick guard. Does anyone here have a guitar without a pick guard? Just curious if it's a big deal and if I should go to the trouble to put an after market one on. Haven't noticed a lot of pick marks on my other guitars, but there are some. Sure don't want my new little parlor to start looking like Willie Nelson's Trigger, LOL. 

Topic starter Posted : January 17, 2021 3:02 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I would prefer one if it was mine

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2021 6:43 PM
jrick92, jerseychicadee, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

The$100 Orangewood Dana I bought doesn’t have a pick guard on it but it came with one in the box.  My Fender and Taylor didn’t have one either. I went to GC today and played an Alvarez AMP 660ESHB. $459. Almost bought it too but the little bit of self restraint I have, I used. Lol Pretty too. sounded good. I also played a Jeff Bridges All In This Together Breedlove. $499. Didn’t like it at all. The strings were bad on it. Just dead. Someone really tweaked them up. When I first saw these from Breedlove I wanted one but the action wasn’t good either. Plus it was a little too big in the bough for me. The Alvarez was about the same size as Roadie. The gloss finish was pretty and it sounded tight. I looked at electrics and saw a Schecter I liked. I went to look at amps but decided I don’t need an amp/I want one. My self restraint was strong today and dominated!! Came out empty handed! I did buy some D’Addario strings and a couple more Gravity picks on Sweetwater app though.  I had bought 2 last week but can’t find them now. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2021 7:00 PM
jrick92, Susan Wagner, John and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I have seen people with pic guards that are trashed from strumming. Mine doesn’t barely have any marks. I guess it depends on your style if you need one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 9:13 AM
jrick92, Susan Wagner, John and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

The pick guard on my Gretsch Penguin, Penny, is thick, really thick. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 10:37 AM
Eric Reinhardt, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Yes, I'm thinking I should probably get a pick guard for the Alvarez. I'm just terrible at putting stuff like that on though. If there's one shot at getting it on straight I'll put it on crooked. 😑 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 18, 2021 7:23 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Randy Shartiger has a video how to put one on 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 7:25 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 18, 2021 7:27 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

here it is

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 7:27 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking it up. 😀 (Just kidding. It's no trouble.) I need all the help I can get. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 18, 2021 7:28 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

LOL I had just watched it yesterday. Looking at the Orangewood and was going to put the pick guard on it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 7:37 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member
Posted by: @shysue

I've noticed that my new Alvarez Parlor doesn't have a pick guard. Does anyone here have a guitar without a pick guard? Just curious if it's a big deal and if I should go to the trouble to put an after market one on. Haven't noticed a lot of pick marks on my other guitars, but there are some. Sure don't want my new little parlor to start looking like Willie Nelson's Trigger, LOL. 

Willy has done all right with Trigger, but I think I would want one. Of course you could always play it and see how it works without one and then cover it up with the pick guard if you wanted to later.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 11:40 PM
John, Susan Wagner, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee That's an interesting video. It looks simple enough but I would probably get someone else to do it for me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 11:47 PM
John, Susan Wagner, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@jrick92 is that like putting a poster up over a hole in the wall of you house? 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2021 7:47 AM
John, Susan Wagner, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

My Fender was a glossy finish and had no pick guard. I played it a lot in the few months I had it. Not a mark on it.  The finish on your Alvarez is also glossy. I don’t think I’d put a pick guard on it. My Taylor, a satin finish, didn’t have pick guard either, not a mark on it. I really didn’t play it enough to say it would be an issue. That mahogany is rich and that abalone lokks awesome. A pick guard would distract from that glossy beauty. Unless you know you’re a heavy scratcher I’d wait. If your other guitars are scratched id do it. I’ve been going to visit a Fender Paramount PM2 deluxe but won’t buy it for $1000 because it has been in the shop a long time, just played by a lot of people and the pick guard is scratched to hell. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2021 9:52 AM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, John and 1 people reacted
Page 1 / 3
Share: