Forum

Best acoustic guita...

Notifications
Clear all

Best acoustic guitars for country and bluegrass

Page 2 / 6
 Jon
(@jonathanhembreygmail-com)

I've never played a Collings before but a shop near me has a couple so I might have to give them a spin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2018 1:19 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, John and 7 people reacted
 Jim
(@jimjsdewitt-com)

Devin - I'm sorry I don't have any other information on the guitar except that number.  It's very similar to the D-2-H  you have except it has a bound back, sides, and headstock.  The fretboard is plain with no markers or inlays.  The model number is the one that was on the label on the inside of the guitar and on the receipt form the store I bought it from.  I wish I was more knowledgeable concerning the back and side wood type.  I believe the top is spruce.  Like I said I bought it in 1997.  The label is D3H model rosewood with vintage style Waverly tuners.  Serial #71893.  I hope this helps.  I think the "C" does not belong as the model number.  That is something the retailer may have used for an inventory number.  I found some listed online as rosewood sides and back with sitka spruce top.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2018 11:00 AM
 Jim
(@jimjsdewitt-com)

Devin - Correction.  the top is adirondack spruce, not sitka spruce.  I guess it's much more desirable for the top.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2018 11:08 AM
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Sounds like it’s a great guitar. I bet it has some extra punch with the adirondack spruce top that you mentioned in the comment below. Maybe the C at the beginning of the model number means Custom Shop…I’m not totally sure, but that would make sense if it says CD3H on the label inside the guitar. Either way, it’s really hard to beat a Collings. I don’t think I’ve ever played one that wasn’t top notch.

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 12, 2018 5:20 AM
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

yes indeed , that s what the man from collings says in an interview i watched é days ago . His preference goes for adirondack top  jim. torrefied and you get a warm and responsive bass that will lead you to heaven

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2018 10:55 AM
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

because it s local , as you are from texas nope ? ^^

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2018 9:43 AM
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

otherwise , fairbanks .. i haven t tried , but their finish are just outstanding..;

Have anyone tried one of this brand ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 23, 2018 4:13 AM
(@cassarta11gmail-com)
Trusted Member

https://www.collingsguitars.com/custom-gallery/cw-mh-a-wheat/

Devin , have a look at this one ... thanks for sharing this brand , i didn t know it well

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2018 3:15 AM
jrick92, fransverboom, Eric Reinhardt and 6 people reacted
(@olivierparenteauyahoo-ca)

Hi,

Like Jocelyn, I play a Gibson, but mine is a Hummingbird Pro. I had it « fixed » (lower the action, etc.) and I simply love it. When I play with my banjo playing friend, I can hear myself very well. But when we play fiddle tunes and I land on the 1st and 2nd strings, they sometimes don't ring enough... (but I use light strings).

I plan on buying a new guitar soon (saved the money for months now !) : should I get the Gibson J-45 (the nicest guitar on the market in my opinion !), the Martin D-18 or the D-28 ? I heard that the wood on the D-18 creates more sound projection... And that is what I am looking for : a second guitar that I will keep all my life and that will have more « power » than my beloved Hummingbird.

Thanks for your advices !

Olivier

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2018 2:45 AM
Justin
(@infoyounggloves-co-uk)
Reputable Member

Hi I'm lucky enough to play both a hd28v and a d18.   I find the mahogany definitely has the edge on the d18 over the rosewood of the hd28 and cuts through better when playing in company.   It's a close call though They are both lovely guitars.

Keep on Picking 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2018 10:52 AM
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Yeah I can see how mahogany could cut through a mix a little better depending on the guitar...Martins usually have plenty of bass as it is. Rosewood does sound so good when you're playing by yourself. Collings usually has a brighter tone overall than Martin..I've owned a Collings D1 (mahogany) and now have the Collings D2H (rosewood) and I think the rosewood version actually cuts through great and the tone is much better to my ear since Collings is brighter overall. It kind of evens it out.

On a side note -- I've sent you a couple e-mails about winning the BlueChip guitar pick in October but I'm guessing they're going to your e-mail spam folder. When you have time, e-mail me the pick you'd like with the right/left hand speed bevel option and I'll mail it out to a good address for you.

Thanks!
Devin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 15, 2018 2:36 AM
 Alex
(@alexcontinilive-co-uk)
Eminent Member

Hi Devin. Why don't you post a new short vid to compare your mid and high end guitars i.e. Your 2 Martins vs your beloved Collings.

Lets us hear the difference when you cross pick and strum.

When I got my Blueridge BR-180N last year, I also played a 180A (Adirondack top) in the shop and quite honestly, I could not tell any difference at all with the 180N (sitka top, no ageing toner). The 180A was new and considerably more expensive, so I went for the 180N. It's got a lot of bass and sustain, sometimes too much when strumming vigorously perhaps. Lovely rosewood tone though. Blueridge BR-180N

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2018 5:39 AM
jrick92, fransverboom, John and 8 people reacted
Justin
(@infoyounggloves-co-uk)
Reputable Member

Hi Alex that's a nice looking guitar for sure I've been meaning to play a blueridge for a while now as they are getting such good reviews.

I must admit I love Martin's but I think they are all different and suit different people.   I too would be very interested in comparing high end guitars with mid range, good call 😀

Keep on Picking 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2018 1:06 PM
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Nice looking Blueridge you have there. I love the inlays and I've always wanted a guitar with a dalmatian pick guard...even considered trading out the pick guard on my Collings D2H with a dalmatian version. Really like that classic look.

I could record a comparison video like that. I'd even like to hear the difference myself. Great idea. Might be a bit before I can get it posted but I'll add that to the list.

Blueridge guitars really are amazing for the price. They're really loud and have great tone. It would be fun to do a blind fold test on somebody...make them put a blindfold on, hand them a high end Martin and have them play it for a bit, then hand them a Blueridge with similar woods and see which one they like best. I'd be willing to bet the Blueridge could win sometimes depending on the Martin. Eastman guitars are also amazing for the price. My cousin is always telling me about some amazing Eastman guitars that he plays at a local shop in Tyler, TX https://www.instagram.com/mundtmusictyler/ I've played some at Fiddler's Green Music Shop in Austin and they're all great for the price. Sometimes a bit heavy, but they even feel high end when you hold them.

When I play the Collings compared to an Blueridge, Eastman, or other low to mid-range guitars, I can really tell the difference in note clarity and dynamics. I can really hear each note clearly on the Collings and if I want to add extra volume to certain notes, it is possible with the Collings. My Martin D-16GT has great tone but it doesn't quite have the response when I pick the notes harder to add more volume. The notes are a bit more even.

Hard to really compare brands and models because each guitar is so different and good for different things, but that's why we're not crazy for wanting to own several guitars even when other people tell us we're crazy 🙂

Hope y'all have a good weekend!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 17, 2018 2:52 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I found a used 2014 Martin D-18 at Guitar Center. Compared it to a 2018 and a brand new version of the same and the 2014 sounded the best. Also compared it to a D-28 and I actually liked the D-18 better (I know the two have different woods - could be the reason). Some test playing had other people in the store commenting on the great sound of the guitar (not my playing, LOL). Anyway, I just fell in love with this guitar and it's pretty much the only one I play now. 

Also have a Martin Custom from 2008, and while it sounds pretty good it doesn't touch the D-18 as far as richness of the tone in my opinion.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2020 4:12 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, John and 6 people reacted
Page 2 / 6
Share: