Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Pro

(@kennyg)
Trusted Member

Because of Devin's tutorial I am wondering how many here use GP to tab out your Music? Have any of you used alternate editing software? the reason I ask is because I have issues with Microsoft and Apple ( i won't get into that here) and am a Linux user. I tried downloading the GP trial version but it wouldn't run for me under the Linux windows emulator so I started looking fo an open source equivalent. I found Musescore and think it is very comparable to GP. As with a lot of open source they may not be as powerful and maybe not as intuitive. I have been using it for a couple weeks now and really like it and it has the ability to import GP files and re-edit etc. Does anyone know if you can import Musescore files into GP the extension would be ... "some file name".mscz.

Topic starter Posted : December 27, 2020 3:29 PM
Thib, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Hi Kenneth,

i have guitar pro 7 and I just went to take a look to see if that file format can be imported, however, I didn’t see that file format as an option.

Whether you use guitar pro or another type of software like it, I think it’s a great tool to have for those that are learning and writing music. It’s helped me to learn really difficult Billy Strings songs by slowing them down

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 27, 2020 4:47 PM
Thib, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 4 people reacted
(@kennyg)
Trusted Member

G thanks a lot for looking but that kind of sucks LOL. I was hoping that they would. I can see a great opportunity for members to exchange  some of their work. Of course it can still be done with PDF's. We can't expect Devin to respond to all our requests but he gives us the tools to work stuff out on our own. It would  be up to Devin but, a members only repository of music we have tabbed out  that could be up or downloaded.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 27, 2020 6:38 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

Not a bad idea.

I wonder who in the group would be up for doing that?

I personally really enjoy transcribing music.

I don't really write much of my own music mainly because I feel like there’s so much Good stuff out there that I really want to learn in my free time. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 27, 2020 7:33 PM
(@kennyg)
Trusted Member

Yes I put this out as a feeler to see who or how many may be interested. I know Guitar pro costs like $75 bucks and if you are like me on a fixed income Musescore my be an alternative it is free and has Windows and Apple versions. Like you have said @G I think there are learning benefits too especially if you are like me and don't read a lick of music. Here is the download page for musescore.

https://musescore.org/en/download

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 27, 2020 8:06 PM
(@jrouse1553)

I think and use Guitar Pro 7.5 and have used it since version 3. I do not write songs but only use them to file away songs that I am interested in. Guitar Pro makes it easy to play the music, loop the music, and edit the music. What more do you need?

James Rouse

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 2:15 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

Yeah I think it’s only 65 bucks.

seems like a no brainer to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 6:30 PM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, John and 3 people reacted
(@kennyg)
Trusted Member

I agree with ya all. I have also noticed that by transcribing I learn the notes and chords faster seams to work with the lyrics too.I have a Bluegrass Fakebook with no tablature but a lot of good old traditional songs certain ones I am transcribing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 31, 2020 1:51 AM
(@mrdougg)

I've just started working with Guitar Pro recently and really enjoy it. A good Bluegrass resource on Youtube is "Lessons with Marcel". He uses GuitarPro and transcribes various Bluegrass tunes, as well as he plays them. Very interesting to watch his process.

I have also messed around with Musescore. You could export your music out of Musescore in MusicXML format and then import that into GuitarPro.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2021 8:38 AM
(@kennyg)
Trusted Member

Thank you Douglas that is great to know in fact I just tried it even though I don't use GP it flawlessly imported back to MScore. For those interested the format looks like "some file name".musicxml. I don't know if Devin has any issues with us sharing back and forth maybe he can address this. There may be issues with copyrights but there are just so many that are public domain and they should not be a problem. The music I have been working on is generally very simple and easy to learn. Even though I practice all Devin's lessons, I sometimes get a little frustrated and need to play something more manageable. I would be willing to upload an example of one in PDF, and musicscore formats to see what people think.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2021 5:08 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I use Strum Machine for chords and timing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2021 2:09 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@kennyg)
Trusted Member

Had to check that out. Technology sure has a lot to offer these days that sure looks like a fun way to learn.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 3, 2021 1:34 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I wish we had computers back in the old days. When I was in college, back when dinosaurs still walked the Earth, working my music education degree,  I would have paid every cent I had for these programs. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2021 3:06 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
Share: