Forum

CGO-Inspired Videos

Notifications
Clear all

CGO-Inspired Videos

Page 1 / 4
(@rschildernc-rr-com)

Post a video link to this forum of yourself playing a song you learnt here on CGO.  Or a link to a song, or even just a song idea, that was inspired by something you learned on CGO (for example, maybe you came up with a little tune by mixing and matching several different riffs you learned in the Fill Riffs and Lead Guitar Course).

Ok, I emboldened the paragraph above, to keep it short and sweet.  But here's more, for those of you that like wordy posts...

I signed up to CGO earlier this year, and am pretty much learning how to play guitar from this site.  I started with the Fill Riffs and Lead Guitar course and was moving along at a pretty good pace, until I recently stalled a bit on Lesson 6, Cripple Creek  (there's a lot of stuff there, and sadly I seem to be ridiculously anal about absorbing everything before I move to the next lesson).  That said, I'm just starting to see how all this stuff fits together, and I'm pretty fascinated by how you can mix and match so many of the fill riffs from the various lessons in different combinations, and how they all work together with the G, C, and D chords.

One day, I was looking ahead at upcoming lessons and reading the comments about them.  I came across a post by Scooter D. in the comments section for Lesson 10, Country Fills Up The Neck.  In his post he attached a link to a video of himself playing the guitar, and I thought, "I'd like to see more of this!"

Anyways (as Devin likes to say)... Scooter D. gave me the idea for this forum, because I'd really like to see what others are doing with the skills they are getting from CGO.  If I had my ideal, it would be great to see two different types of videos: 1) videos of any particular song learnt on this site, or 2) videos inspired by the lessons on this site.

Lastly, it would be cool if those of you who post, mentioned what song or lessons you pulled from to create your music!

Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2018 4:25 AM
(@scooter)

Hey there rschilder.  Scooter d. here - thanks for the shoutout...

You have a very good idea about posting videos of licks and runs.  At the risk of further embarrassing myself, here is the link to the video ( in the comment section of Devin's lesson )

Lesson ID: A0117:

Country Fills Up the Neck with 1st Position Scales
Lesson 10 – Rhythm Fill Riffs and Lead Guitar Course

So, I have obviously set the throw-down bar very low and my question is...  rschilder - have you posted your video(s) yet?  🙂   We're all looking forward to viewing a link to your video(s) on this forum.

Good idea.   It's a fun way to practice and making the video did help me focus ( nervously ).

Good luck with your on-going lessons.  Devin has provided a terrific lesson site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2018 7:01 AM
jerseychicadee, Marc Piechowicz, Mac and 5 people reacted
(@rschildernc-rr-com)

Thanks, Scooter D...

Yes, it occurred to me that as soon as I posted this forum, I'd get a request to post a video myself.  It'll come someday, I suppose.  I'm still in the "When the red camera light comes on, my mind goes to dust" stage of  playing.   : )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2018 11:23 AM
(@scooter)

No pressure...  I'm thinking next time I make a video, I will duct tape that little red camera light... 🙂

Devin's Lesson site is all about learning new skills without all the extra "magic carpet rides" often found on other sites.  It's just straight-up all-inclusive excellent teaching techniques.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2018 4:41 PM
 Alex
(@alexcontinilive-co-uk)
Eminent Member

Just forget the camera is there...or trick your brain by telling yourself that you won’t post that particular video you’re shooting. In that way, you won’t put pressure on yourself to perform. In fact, I started a similar post a couple of days ago as I hadn’t read yours first. As I said in mine, I think we should post videos with mistakes and all. In that way, we can get advise from other members and Devin on the really ‘sticky bits’.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2019 7:15 AM
(@scooter)

Alex, you posted a fine performance in your video.   It always seems too easy to be critical of one's own recording.    You did well.   I agree with posting mistakes and all, because just the process of "recording a video" of oneself really helps focus on the smaller detail in the song.   Most people listening simply enjoy the music, and do not notice the smaller detail items.     I hope to post a video again soon, before "rschilder" gets up the nerve to post...  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2019 8:11 AM
(@rschildernc-rr-com)

Hey Scooter, I don't think you're in danger yet -- although I did consider recording something for the briefest of moments.  You know, after owning my own business for the past five years, I'm about to work a real job-type job again.  And while they were interviewing me, one of the first things the company did was to give me a personality test (some sorta test to figure out what my key personality trait is, like ambition, competition, money driven, etc.).  My result came back as perfectionist, which bothered me a good deal because I can't help but think of Felix Unger in the old Odd Couple tv show.  Perfectionists can be annoying.  So, I tried to convince my new boss that I really consider myself more of an Attention to Detail type of guy.  Yep.

Anyways... there may be some truth to it.  So, I'll post something on here, when I'm convinced I know how to hold the pick correctly.  Think it's still gonna be awhile.  : )

Where do you live Scooter?  I'm in Raleigh, NC.

PS -- Great job, Alex!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 2, 2019 5:14 AM
(@scooter)

Hey rschilder, Congratulation on your new job.  It sounds perfect... 🙂

No pressure on posted videos.   I hope to drop the needle on a recording, but my excuses do come easy.   Devin sure keeps a nice pace of pro instructional videos - I don't know how he and his sound/camera crew keep up...

Where do I live?  I'm tryin' to live on CGO time...  Good luck in 2019.   Hope you survived the hurricanes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2019 6:38 AM
(@rschildernc-rr-com)

After I made that last post, I had the thought that I wasn't always so timid about making videos -- and remembered that I recorded some stuff with my kid About Ten Years Ago!  So, to get this party started (and hopefully get some more CGO-member videos up on here), I just posted my first ever videos to YouTube for y'alls appraisal and bemusement.  Note: These are Pre-CGO Inspired (so, you can only imagine what I'll be able to do with my new set of skills)!

Here's the first one...

And here's another original called Package of Love...

You are welcome!

Who's next?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 2, 2019 7:02 AM
(@scooter)

rschilder - Very cool videos.   Family music is a tough act to follow.   Nice original song.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2019 7:12 AM
 Alex
(@alexcontinilive-co-uk)
Eminent Member

Hey Rick. That's cool stuff you and your son play there. I just love the family atmosphere too! Keep it up! I wish my dad duetted with me on guitar like that when I was that age!

We want more videos!!

Alex

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2019 4:59 AM
(@rschildernc-rr-com)

My boy got so good so quickly, it actually discouraged me from playing for several years (or until about the time I discovered CGO).  I think some people just have a natural, innate ability, and the rest of us really struggle to get there.  I'm in the second group.  But, I really love music and enjoy the challenge!

Post more vids people!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 6, 2019 3:28 AM
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Great stuff! Yeah it's amazing how quickly kids can pick up an instrument. Sounds great, your boy's right on track.

I'd love to hear more videos too...maybe at some point in 2019 we can start a video challenge or something like that...

Thanks for posting the videos!

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2019 3:35 AM
 Alex
(@alexcontinilive-co-uk)
Eminent Member

Ok folks, so this is my attempt to play Wildwood Flower after 3 weeks of practice following Devin’s Lesson. I play with a capo at the 4th fret and compare the two guitars.

And here’s my attempt to play ‘The last thing on my mind’ by Tom Paxton with the tatty old Martin. I am fingerpicking and the guitar solo doesn’t sound good. Devin, help!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2019 11:26 AM
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Awesome, thanks for posting these Alex! Both songs sound great! I really like hearing the guitar comparison too...they both have a pretty different tone to them. The Blueridge sounds a little crisper and brighter to me...D-15 is a little more mellow. Great idea. Keep the videos coming! What mic are you using to record?..straight acoustic? It almost sounds like you're running them both through an amp.

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2019 6:40 AM
Page 1 / 4
Share: