Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Devin's guitar

Page 1 / 2
 kay
(@kay)

What kind of acoustic is he playing? Because it sounds great. Anyone have recommendations for a good medium range acoustic for country?

Topic starter Posted : July 11, 2020 12:09 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@katharina)
Eminent Member

By accident I read that in the forum today...

Here you‘ll find the answer:

https://countryguitaronline.com/community/discuss-your-gear/best-acoustic-guitars-for-country-and-bluegrass/paged/5/#post-3001562

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2020 1:35 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @kay

What kind of acoustic is he playing? Because it sounds great. Anyone have recommendations for a good medium range acoustic for country?

Blueridge BR180 you can't go wrong

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2020 6:57 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Pretty sure Devin plays Martins. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2020 7:04 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, j.phillips189 and 3 people reacted
 kay
(@kay)

@katharina

Thanks for the link

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 11, 2020 11:59 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, John and 4 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

What is your definition of medium range? I have heard some people describe a guitar as “fairly inexpensive” and then I looked up the price and would not consider it to be that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 9:05 AM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, John and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@rinny51 That's a good question and everyone is going to have a different answer. It's a subjective thing. You can get a good Yamaha for $300 or a little less, and you can spend more than that and get a so-so guitar. 

My idea of mid-range is about $750 or so. Some people would say that's too much. Like I said - it's subjective. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 4:49 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

He's played several Martins here as far as I can see. A mahogany top on a few tunes but mainly spruce. I think he's been known to play a Collings at times too, but hopefully he''ll chime in and put us straight.

As far as a "medium range for country" guitar goes. Well what do you call medium range? I think if you come up with a price point someone might be able to help out. Do you need a new guitar, or would you consider buying used? Are you looking for a big name brand or would you be happy with a less known name on the headstock?

Then there's neck shape and size? skinny or wide or standard? What size? The dreadnought's Devin plays might not be the optimal shape or size for you. I'd put that last question first and take it from there, because i'm sure many people buy the wrong sized guitar from the start. I'm a dreadnought guy, but i'm pretty sure my next one will be an OM/OOO because my shoulder is falling out of love with the dreadnought's depth.

What are you playing now? What do you want in your next guitar that the current one lacks?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 5:01 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Definitely buying used can get you a lot of guitar for a smaller price, especially if there's some cosmetic damage like a ding or a scratch somewhere. I've bought used and new, and honestly the used guitar has been my favorite for a while now. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 5:13 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@shysue

Got to love those 800 series Yamahas. My FS820 in black with cream binding is the cutest guitar i've ever owned, and the neck is just the slipperiest/slidiest neck i've ever encountered. When I do Devin's licks that involve sliding from the 5th - 7th/9th frets it's as smooth as butter every time (unlike my Eastman). Although the necks are skinnier than most, and not for everyone.  I think you have to spend quite a bit more to outclass a Yamaha, and there's not much to compete with them at their price point. I know lots of really good players with expensive guitars get them as "beaters" only to find their fancy guitars gathering dust. 

I always tell people with less than 500 notes to spend to get a Yamaha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 5:22 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

During this quarantine, Ive watched more YouTube videos than I ever thought I would. Taylor Guitar site says use Turtle Wax Express Shine Car Wax. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 6:03 PM
fransverboom, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@shysue have you seen Willie Nelsons guitar? It has a hole in it and still sounds fantastic 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 6:16 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Trigger!  That guitar will be in a museum someday! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 6:25 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

this is the one where Randy is working on Devin’s D15

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2020 8:22 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@jerseychicadee

Good link. Thanks. The linked video within the video above on tips for buying and stringing a guitar is really interesting too. As is the singing dawg at the end!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2020 10:51 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: