Forum

Putting a "speed be...

Notifications
Clear all

Putting a "speed bevel" on a pick.

dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

I was intrigued to read that Devin uses bevelled picks and did some research. This introduced me to the idea of speed bevels, which i'd never heard of. One fellow from Acoustic Guitar Forum mentioned doing his own using purple Dunlop tortex picks and modifying them with a dremel tool. Another guy used 400 grit sandpaper and cardboard to buff it up afterwards. Since i recently bought a pack of 12 purple tortex picks (at 1.14 thickness) I thought i'd give it a go. My Sandpaper was way too heavy so i quickly switched to a 300 grit Japanese whetstone (I'm a knife sharpening nerd) and it did the job on both sides. I then used my leather strop to polish the edges. Five minutes later I was able to compare the pick with a standard one, and sure enough there was a significant difference with the beveled pick sounding noticeably brighter and fresher. I'm impressed!

Definitely worth five minutes of your time if you have a spare pick to play with.

Topic starter Posted : May 2, 2020 12:10 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, John and 5 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

A new one for me, every little helps 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2020 4:21 PM
jrick92, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

The blue chip pick I won has bevel. I think it makes it come off the strings a little easier

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2020 7:15 PM
jrick92, Jocelyn, John and 2 people reacted
Share: