Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Dreadnoughts

(@kevin-mooresvirginmedia-com)

Hi. The dreadnought seems to be the most popular shape for bluegrass and country guitar. Is there any reason for this; any characteristic of the shape that makes it better or is it all about volume?

Topic starter Posted : January 22, 2020 5:27 AM
fransverboom, jerseychicadee, C White and 6 people reacted
(@georgeanddoris66hotmail-com)
Reputable Member

I’m sort of new to Bluegrass guitar but I have also just liked the full sound of a dreadnought guitar in general.  This type of guitar has the volume to be heard when playing in a group setting so it works as a country/ bluegrass type of instrument.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2020 8:32 AM
(@olivierparenteauyahoo-ca)

I guess it's the volume (but some dreadnoughts, even if they are big, don't project much...); that being said, I had the opportunity to see quite a few guitarists play with smaller guitars (double O's and even parlor size guitars) that literally generated huge sound.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 2, 2020 1:02 PM
(@teresawrandolphgmail-com)

Hi Kevin,  While I love the big sound and boomy bass of a dreadnought, I have recently developed some bad arm and shoulder problems from reaching my short arms around my big dreadnought.  I just switched to a Martin 000-28.  Gorgeous sound, same boomy bass, and much easier to play.  Other short-armed friends of mine agree.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2020 4:05 AM
(@kevin-mooresvirginmedia-com)

Hi Teresa. I'm playing my Martin OOO in my profile pic but it's only an X series as I gig with it and it can get bashed around a bit. Fabulous sound though.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 27, 2020 4:37 AM
(@rwrightbrtc-net)

You may not believe it, but the Blueridge BR-40 Dreadnought is one of the best sounding ones out there.  This little jewel is pretty amazing.  Blueridge guitars don't get that much attention and they have an entire line of them, but this one is their workhorse and not expensive at all.  I had their BR-160A (A more expensive Blueridge) and traded it in on a Taylor which I love also.   I traded another guitar for this BR-40.  I actually traded a Martin OCM-15E Mahogany for it.  Of course I got some money with the trade also, but this is one of the best sounding Dreadnoughts I have ever played, and I love the size of it.   Play one if you ever get the chance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2020 7:02 AM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

Just picked up an Eastman E1D yesterday. I've been playing a Yamaha FS820 with a super skinny neck so this is a big change. The vendor did a nice set up and it's smooth as butter up the neck. I broke into Lukenbach Texas in the kitchen last night and my missus nearly burnt the risotto. She thought Waylon, Willie and the boys had come for dinner!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 7:13 AM
(@elliotsperlinggmail-com)
Reputable Member

@dom Hah, the boys are jammin in the kitchen! I recently picked up an Eastman E1D too, really enjoying it. How you liking it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 12:45 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@elliotsperlinggmail-com

Loving it. Fantastic guitar. The set up done by the seller is superb, but i'm getting a bit of buzzing with a capo on the second fret if i'm not careful. I'm wondering whether to shim up the lowered saddle bone a fraction, or tweak the truss rod. So far i've just left off the capo and focused on Devin's open string intermediate licks because there's plenty to keep me busy for now, but when i need to use the capo i'll have to make an adjustment somewhere, or play a lot softer. I used to be a busker many moons ago, so i'm in the habit of playing a bit hard sometimes and this set up is struggling with a capo on.

Anyway, the guitar is fabulous. Just oozes out a gorgeous woody tone that one usually has to pay a lot more money to experience. Really happy i bought it.

I also have a Yamaha FS820 which is a nice little OM sized guitar with a super-skinny neck. It's a bit funky switching between the two neck sizes but I have a soft spot for Yamaha's and have owned many. The Eastman is really something special though. The OM version in cedar has got me thinking I need a third guitar!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 4:30 PM
fransverboom, jerseychicadee, C White and 5 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Does anybody have a Taylor 810? I hear it has some pretty good bass compared to the other Taylor’s similar to Martin.

Just curious if anyone has one and likes it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2020 12:26 AM
(@theycallmebigal)
Trusted Member

@g I jam with a friend who has the 814. I’ve played it several times, and it’s smooth-sounding as heck. Definitely has a good low-end punch.

I own the 214ce and love it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2024 5:28 PM
Share: