That’s a great guitar.

It plays very well like the 214CE.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 3:11 PM
Jocelyn, John, jerseychicadee and 4 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

@rg I sat in the music store playing guitars for like 4 hours and that was the one I kept going back to. I have had it now for like 7 years still very happy with it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2020 12:21 AM
Jocelyn, John, jerseychicadee and 4 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

I tried a Boucher BG-41 good sound but never tried Larivee.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2020 4:44 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 4 people reacted
(@ruffy)

I play a Gibson j45 and I love it. It’s pretty versatile, but I do plan to get another guitar in the future that I’ll dedicate to flat picking.  I’m definitely leaning towards a D18 or a D28, though I’ve considered another Gibson....probably opt for a Advanced Jumbo if that were the case.  
The j45 is my one and only and as it’s short scale, I’m not sure how much different it’ll be when I do get a standard scale.  I’m sure string tension will be a bit different but should be easy to get used to.  
I play fingerstyle a bit and I really love the j45 for that.  It does well for Bluegrass/Country but I’d like a little more of that projection I hear with the Martins and the low end.  Besides, we all need more than one guitar, right👍.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2020 11:40 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 5 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

You can't go wrong with a Martin D-18 or D-28. But I'm kind of biased. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 1:19 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

I have a Gibson J15 and it sounds good, playability not so bad....it’s a good guitar!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 2:55 PM
(@dllawrenceyahoo-com)

Interesting that no one has mentioned Huss and Dalton yet.  I've owned MANY Martins over the years, two Collings, a Bourgeois, and after quite some time, I've come to the conclusion that my Huss and Dalton TD-R Custom is the nicest sounding, and best playing dreadnought I've ever owned.  Maybe I'm a bit biased, being from Virginia, but these are big, balanced, powerful dreadnoughts, and the craftsmanship is second to none- they are gorgeous.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2020 5:33 AM
dom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 5 people reacted
(@ruffy)

@jocelyn

i feel like Gibson’s don’t get much love in the bluegrass world, but they can definitely hang with the best out there. Obviously, just like any other guitar, size and shape and tone woods dictate voice but don’t sell your J15 short!  The differences between quality guitars are subtle and I think we players label guitars into particular genres. 
Put yours or my Gibson in Molly Tuttles hands and it would be a bluegrass machine.  If Brian Sutton were to all of a sudden put down the Martin and start playing a Taylor predominantly, do we really think that Taylor guitars wouldn’t eventually become “bluegrass” guitars?  
I’m eventually going to get another guitar and I’m not sure what yet. I’m prone to believing I should get a D28 because that is the guitar kinda pushed as the standard, but I’ve played nothing but myJ45 and so I often consider getting another Gibson (I play by myself and for my own enjoyment). Cutting through a mix and all the other terms used in music means jack to me 😂 An advanced jumbo or hummingbird or Songwriter would be fun😉 or another thing I’ve ive considered is leaving well enough alone and keeping the j45 as the exclusive country/bluegrass guitar and getting a L00 for some blues. 
too many choices and not enough $$$$. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2020 9:56 AM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

@ruffy

Thanks for your comments!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2020 6:16 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 3 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

I switch between an Eastman E1D dreadnought and a Yamaha FS820  OM sized guitar with a super skinny neck. I enjoy playing both. Were I to buy a third guitar, I'd probably get another OM. There's a lot to be said for smaller bodied guitars in my view. Perhaps it's an age thing because i've always been a dread guy, but the smaller bodies are nicer to throw my arm over now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 10:26 AM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Anybody every try a PRS (Paul Reed Smith) acoustic for flatpicking? Just curious, because I came real close to buying one and then decided to go with the Martin D-18. I don't regret buying the Martin, but I still wonder if the PRS would have been a good choice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 6:29 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

I’ve always loved Taylor acoustics although they just don’t seem to have that knock you off your chair bass sound.

I have, however, heard that the Taylor 810 does. I cant wait to go try one out once stores start opening back up. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 8:53 AM
John, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I have a Taylor 314CE that I really liked, but once I got the Martin D-18 the Taylor is gathering dust. We have several guitars and I always tried to give each one a turn at least once a week, but the Martin gets most of my attention now. Just love the sound of it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 2:38 PM
John, jerseychicadee, C White and 2 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I need to just stay out of the guitar store LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 7:22 PM
John, jerseychicadee, C White and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@rinny51Just leave your wallet at home haha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 9:59 PM
John, jerseychicadee, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
Page 4 / 6
Share: