Forum

Do You Have Family ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do You Have Family Members Who Play?

Page 1 / 2
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Just curious if anyone has a family member who plays as well. I didn't really have anyone, so I've been trying to get my sister to play but she doesn't want to practice, LOL. My hubby plays with me but he's very much in the beginning stages and won't practice (just like my sister). But, in their defense, they are both still working full time while I am retired. 

My step grandmother played guitar and piano but she passed a long time ago. And I have an uncle who is a preacher who plays guitar but I never see him. Other than that I don't have any family members who play.  

Topic starter Posted : May 20, 2020 4:18 PM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 5 people reacted
(@morrow1616)
Trusted Member

I do not have any other family members that play with me.  My mother plays classical piano. 

I do think that would be lots of fun to have a family that played together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2020 5:33 PM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 6 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

no one in my immediate family. I have been trying to get my kids interested but no takers yet. 

I have an uncle (guitar) and cousin (violin) that play during the holidays. They are more into stuff like the beetles but i am trying to convert them into playing a few george strait songs LOL 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2020 8:37 PM
(@ruffy)

I’m the solo guitarist in my family. I started later in life than optimal (at 40) after I was injured and retired by military. 
My children are both grown now and my oldest plays the bagpipes with his Fire Department Pipe and Drum group (I enjoy listening to them play). 
My grandkids haven’t expressed much interest in music yet, but I’m trying as I’ve got them a ukulele to try (i play ukulele as well). 
In any case, my kids/grandkids are going to have some nice instruments when God decides to take me. I have a Gibson J-45 and plan to get another high quality acoustic or two in the future (maybe a Martin standard series or another Gibson of some sort). 
Music has given me a hobby that in my previous life didn’t fit me.  After I was injured and found myself severely limited physically, it truly saved me and has helped me immensely in dealing with my ptsd. 
Sorry I got off track y’all. Nope I’ve no other players, but eventually music will find its ways into my kids Or grandkids lives and hopefully fulfill them as it has me. 
and thanks for awesome lessons Devin!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 10:45 AM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 7 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@ruffy Hey Scott, Sorry to hear you were injured, and I do thank you for your service to our country. I've had several family members in the service as well. That is very cool that your oldest plays the bagpipes in his fire dept. group!  

I do think guitar playing is a fantastic hobby that is always entertaining and always challenging. Tried to get some younger great nephews and nieces interested in ukulele but they would rather stare at their phones. 😒 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 21, 2020 3:27 PM
(@ruffy)

@shysue
thanks, as for service to my Country I’d do it again in a heartbeat......loved it. 
As for getting youngsters into music or anything worthwhile for that matter, it’s tough now a days with all the societal influences that have become the norm. 
The things that have made us able to gather and discuss/study music have also been a detriment to our society. Very sad. But there is hope and we all reach a point in life where true meaning comes to shape. 
peace to ya. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 3:42 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

@morrow1616 My Mother and Daughter both play

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 10:03 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@rg Lucky you!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 22, 2020 3:10 PM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 4 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@shysue Yes

,I’m very fortunate.

My mother taught me and now I am teaching the next generation.

I’m sure my daughter will keep it going. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2020 5:33 PM
 Mac
(@macschildergmail-com)
Reputable Member

My dad plays guitar and taught me a ton when I was younger. We would usually have a 2-3 hour lesson every weekend, and it really paid off. My mom used to teach piano. My sister plays some guitar and has a super nice voice. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 12:08 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

@macschildergmail-comAlways a blast jamming out with the fam at home.That’s awesome MAC

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 1:52 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@macschildergmail-com That's very cool, Mac. You're lucky!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 23, 2020 3:00 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

@ruffyScott, Your son doesn’t live in California does he? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2020 8:36 AM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 4 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@ruffyMy neighbor out in Trabuco is in the fire department and plays the bag pipes. Love listening to him play and hopefully he feels the same towards me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 8:35 PM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 3 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

In my family I’m the only one!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2020 3:42 AM
jerseychicadee, John, Marc Piechowicz and 3 people reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: