Lesson Requests

Homepage Forums Community Forum Lesson Requests

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  cjdubs66 1 week, 3 days ago.

Go to latest post
  • Author
    rschilder
    rschilder
    Participant

I realize that we all have the ability to send a message to Devin and make a song or lesson request via the direct chat function or in any comment box beneath the lessons.  But, I thought it might be cool to post them here for all the CGO World to see, and for discussion.

I’ll start…

I recently got into the Hybrid Picking course and think it is pretty wonderful (particularly for a guy who couldn’t conceive of himself playing with his fingers).  I went through the first three lessons and then found /https://countryguitaronline.com/lynyrd-skynyrd-style-blues-progression/   The Lynyrd Skynyrd lesson is great.  In addition to being a very cool riff, it has helped me with palm muting — which I didn’t know how to do very well.

Anyways, I enjoyed the lesson by the Southern Rock and Roll Band, and wouldn’t mind seeing more lessons in the same vein.  I realize that this is primarily a country and bluegrass site, but I think it would be great to see a few more lessons from popular bands that have the country twang (or simply have a few country-sounding songs in their catalog).

Examples…

Eagles – Tequila Sunrise

Allman Brothers — Jessica

Rolling Stones — Dead Flowers

I would love to hear Devin’s acoustic spin on these classics!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Devin Devin.

Scooter d.
    Participant

rschilder.   Man, your on fire…  another very cool idea.

Good songs to request, though not sure how far off the Country Bluegrass Devin will go.  I’ll bet he could really do excellent acoustic arrangements for those songs.

Good post.

Devin
    Devin
    Keymaster

I agree with Scooter, keep the ideas coming. If you don’t mind, I think I might change the title of this forum post to “Lesson Requests”…and at the top menu of the site under the Contact link, there’s a link to a lesson request form. I was thinking we’d go ahead and change that Lesson Request link so it’ll go straight to this forum post.

I get a lot of lesson requests and right now they all go to my e-mail inbox. When I’m busy, I usually can’t find the time to copy the requests over to our “official” list of lesson ideas. If everybody started posting their requests here in the forum, it would be so much easier for me to track, and I bet other folks would enjoy scrolling through the requests to see what other people are wanting to learn.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this.

Great idea!

rschilder
      rschilder
      Participant

No problem with you changing the title from Song Requests to Lessons Requests.  Makes sense.

Also, if you think it would be a good idea, could you change CGO-Inspired Guitar to CGO-Inspired Videos?  I had the thought yesterday after I posted it, that the current topic name might not be very  clear, whereas maybe we’ll get a click or two if folks are looking for videos.  I tried to make the change myself, but I’m guessing I need a Keymaster to get involved.

Devin
      Devin
      Keymaster

Sounds good, I’ll update the title of the other one. I think it’ll get more clicks like that too. As it is now, the forum lets Participants edit for 15 minutes after a topic is submitted. I guess we’ll leave it like that for now and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Alton
    Alton
    Participant

I would love some lessons on Sturgill Simpson songs. He is one of my big favorites since I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cMqD0WqYE

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Alton Alton.
      Geoff
      Geoff
      Participant

Devin, your lessons are really the BEST country and bluegrass lessons available anywhere. Thanks again for all your hard work. Could you do a short lesson teaching Sturgill Simpson riffs? Modern country usually doesn’t do it for me but Sturgill has some nice classic riffs that might fit with your fill riff lesson course.

Thanks!!

cassarta11
      cassarta11
      Participant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8vjk_ZtQw  have a look , this one looks similar to what simpson does. with hammer on , pull off. might be very helpful

fransverboom
      fransverboom
      Participant

great stuff !

cassarta11
      cassarta11
      Participant
      rschilder
      rschilder
      Participant

Thank you, Alton!  I really appreciate discovering Sturgill Simpson through your post.  I’ve been checking him out since you mentioned him and he definitely seems like the real deal.  He can play, sing, and has some great lyrics.  Seems like the perfect blend of Haggard, Jennings, and maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Awesome.

I haven’t listened much to country radio since the mid-90s.  Up until then things were going strong with George Strait, Dwight Yoakum, Jon Anderson, Keith Whitley and some others (and you could still hear some of the great stuff from Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and Don Williams).  Now everything sounds like bad pop music with exaggerated southern accents — and a violin if we’re lucky.  But, maybe I’m just old.

So good to hear somebody doing it right!

nicolestonestreet
      Participant

Yeah! Jason Isbell would be cool too.

Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Your bluegrass improvising course has helped me a lot. More lessons in that course would be great! Thanks to this course, your technique of playing bluegrass guitar licks over chord shapes has transformed my playing. Excellent lessons!

Justin
    Justin
    Participant

I’m enjoying everything on the site and I’m working through it all nicely.  My style is very much flat picking and fingerstyle so anything Doc Watson would be brill for me.

Steve Earle’s Tom Ammes Prayer would be awesome as the flat picking solo is just so good.  I think you would do an amazing arrangement of it and I think it would be very popular as it’s such a great song 😀

fransverboom
    fransverboom
    Participant

Great idea this forum, i think your song choises for the lessons are great !   My sugestion for a lesson would be the song :

Randall Collings   By  Norman Blake

Jocelyn
    Jocelyn
    Participant

Good idea!

Scooter d.
    Participant

I really enjoy The Last Thing On My Mind – written by Tom Paxton.   Doc Watson and Dolly did a terrific cover with a bit of a bluegrass feel.  It’s an easy song, but it would nice to have Devin’s take on this song, with his style of arrangement.

cassarta11
    cassarta11
    Participant

Devin , have you got some lessons about trance blues ?

the man Otis taylor is an expert and would have liked some  advices if you got some to share  ! cheers !

Larry
    Participant

Neat thread. Interesting to see where other members are coming from musically. I’d love to see Devin work out Billy Grey by Norman Blake and also Rock, Salt and Nails, but the Hot Mud Family’s version. This was a very, very good and underrated Southern Ohio band back in my day — the mid-70s. Their harmonies were just tight. Their version is my favorite version of this song, followed closely by JD Crowe’s with Tony Rice playing guitar.

cassarta11
    cassarta11
    Participant

hey Devin , i know you are busy doing new lessons and they really worth it but , when you got time can you do a little review about delta slow blues.

many thanks !

cassarta11
      cassarta11
      Participant

Devin , would be so great if you can get this tabs or to make it sounds like this…

delta blues

cassarta11
    cassarta11
    Participant

that s the only request i ask you … i really like this kind of fingerpicking… if one day you can do something outside country topic… in this kind of finger style would be much appreciate !

cassarta11
      cassarta11
      Participant

i realise there is hybrid fingerpicking .. things you explain so .. sorry

fransverboom
    fransverboom
    Participant

Hey Devin , what about a lesson for the song : Ridge Road Gravel

cassarta11
      cassarta11
      Participant

hey alles goed ? Ik wacht voor u mail te sturen zo  we kunnen kennis te maken voor en guitar session in Rotterdam te doen.

All right ?

cassarta11
    cassarta11
    Participant

cassarta11
    cassarta11
    Participant

cjdubs66
    Participant

I’d love to see some Tyler Childers.  Banded Clovis or Deadmans Curve would be awesome.

jam4ar
    Participant

Do a follow up to your foggy mountain breakdown chord progression. Give us a guitar break for it.

Devin
      Devin
      Keymaster

Good idea. That would work great as the next lesson in the bluegrass improvising course. Thanks!

John
    John
    Participant

Hello Devin, I like what you are doing here as well, whatever you do is fine as long as you you enjoy doing it, should be something enjoyable for the work you do here.. I liked the Tony Rice licks and still have a lot of favorites and those lessons I have yet to fall back on too!  Thanks for the lessons  you are sharing here now and always excited to see a new lesson or extension to existing lessons too!

rschilder
      rschilder
      Participant

John’s post, and his comment on extending existing lessons, got me thinking about one of your lessons that I’d love to see an extension to… Fill Riffs Lesson #7 (Cripple Creek).

I love that lesson because of all the many fill riff solos that come along with it. It is pretty invaluable.  But… and yes, there’s always a but… I also wish there was some tab for the main solo melody.  This was the first lesson I came across where I had to look elsewhere to find what I was looking for.  I found one guy that did the melody on the high strings, and one guy that did it on the lower ones.  (But, don’t worry, I learnt what each guy was doing for free — and closed up their sites when the lesson required a subscription to learn more!).

Thanks Devin, and have a great week!

Devin
      Devin
      Keymaster

For sure, I love recording the lessons. It was a ton of work in the early stages of putting the site together, but it’s paying off and the work load is finally tapering down a bit. And it’s great that people are actually using the site. Makes it all pretty rewarding.

I’m going to put together a Country Guitar Lick Library next. Hope you like those licks as well. The guitar licks will be along the lines of the bluegrass lick library, but going to focus on artist signature licks. Can’t wait to get it going. It’ll be a work in progress putting it together, but I’m planning to post licks to the new lick library in between recording the larger song and technique lessons. Thanks for the post –

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Devin Devin.

Peg
    Participant

I saw a brief lesson on Arkansas Traveler but was wondering if you could do the melody line and rhythm with that song?

Devin
      Devin
      Keymaster

Arkansas Traveler is one of my favorites. It’s actually been on my list of lessons to record for a while now but haven’t quite made it there yet. On the way soon!

cjdubs66
    Participant

I’m digging really hard on colter wall right now and would love a lesson on something of his. I think Kate mccannon would be a great one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.