Acoustic Guitar Strings

Homepage Forums Community Forum Acoustic Guitar Strings

• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by AlexAlex.
Viewing 16 reply threads
Go to latest post
  • Author
      CollinCollin
      Participant

What kind of acoustic guitar strings are good for classic country?

I like to use EJ17s by D-addario to get nice tone. And I see alot of others using the Martin lifespan strings but I am open try trying new strings if there is something better. Does anybody else have a preference?

Participant

Everyone has their own “ear” but I have become very partial to the GHS Americana strings. I use mediums on my Martins and lights on my Gibsons. I love the tone of these strings.

CollinCollin
        Participant

Thanks Gary and Chris — The GHS Americanas are new to me. I may try those next. My “ear” still needs plenty of work- whether or not I can hear a difference in tone is a whole different story. I’ll let you know how it goes!

DeadfilmstarDeadfilmstar
      Participant

Myself, I prefer Ernie Ball phospher bronze. Usually string with 11s or 12s depending of guitar and target.

My gibson jumbo has 12s, my martin,11s. gives the jumbo even more punch and sustain.. the martin.. thin and bright.

most of the time the gibson.. is down a step, then drop tuning, i find it still keeps the guitar loud as it takes more tension to tune thicker strings

I can play the heck out of those strings and they dont loose clarity or brightness for a long stretch.

DevinDevin
        Keymaster

I haven’t tried Ernie Ball phosphor bronze strings or the GHS Americanas but I’ll give them a shot. Always looking for better tone.

Has anybody tried Black Diamond phosphor bronze strings? I’ve always been curious after hearing that one line in “Church Street Blues” about stringing up this old Martin box with old Black Diamond brand.

I used to only play with Elixer Nanoweb phosphor bronze mediums…was pretty set on those strings being the best since they’re really soft to the touch, but then someone here at CGO posted a comment about John Pearse phosphor bronze strings being much better than Elixers and other brands. I tried out the mediums a few months ago and I’m sold on John Pearse phosphor bronze for now…amazing tone. I will say, they don’t last as long as Elixers since they’re not coated, but the tone sounds much better to me. You can hear them in the latest “Tennessee Stud” lesson video. I bought some Fast Fret to apply to the strings before and after I practice and it seems to make them last a lot longer.

I hope people keep posting on this topic because I’d love to hear about some other brands to try…

BryanBryan
        Participant

John Pearse strings are my favorite also, and I read that Doc Watson used John Pearse phosphor bronze strings.

JocelynJocelyn
        Participant

These advices are all appreciated!

JonJon
      Participant

I use the Ernie Ball Homewood Phosphor Bronze or the 80/20 Phosphor(mostly on my J45). No complaints here.

Bart MarshelBart Marshel
      Participant

I also like the Elixer P/B Nanoweb strings. I love the feel and the fact that they last a really long time between string changes.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Bart MarshelBart Marshel.
        JocelynJocelyn
        Participant

I’m going to try these on my J15.

ibpickinibpickin
      Participant

I attended the IBMA this past week and had the opportunity to try the ” Straight up Strings”. Their heavy gauge is more like a medium , and the mediums are more like lights. Something about the torque and tension between the strings being more balanced. I was pretty impressed with the sound and feel. definitely worth getting a set to try.

DevinDevin
        Keymaster

Very cool. I’ve never heard of those but the technology sounds really interesting…just did some snooping around on their Siminoff “Straight Up Strings” website. Think I’ll place an order and give those a try. Thanks for the tip.

ibpickinibpickin
        Participant

You wont be disappointed.

JonJon
        Participant

That does sounds really interesting. I’ll have to check them out. Thanks for the info!

TimTim
        Participant

Nice, thanks for the tip. I’ll try them out. I also tried the John Pearse phosphor bronze Devin was recommending and they are excellent.

JustinJustin
      Participant

Strings are something I’m always trying out.  I’m using Elixer at the minute.  They are expensive but last a long time.   I like the idea of using the same strings as Doc Watson though, so for my next change I’m gonna try John Pearse I’ll let you know how I get on 😀

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by DevinDevin.
      cassarta11cassarta11
      Participant

I heard great feedback about nickel strings

Has someone ever tried those types of strings ? What’s really the difference ?

thanks in advance

cassarta11cassarta11
      Participant

Pyramid strings … I have heard great feedback as well

just saying

cassarta11cassarta11
      Participant

Pyramid strings … I have heard great feedback as well
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>just saying</p>

cassarta11cassarta11
      Participant

Santa cruz strings

fransverboomfransverboom
      Participant

I really like the sound of the Martin acoustic M535 phosphor bronze strings , i have tried lots of others but these are the best for me

cassarta11cassarta11
      Participant

good to know , i ll have a try ! prechtig dag man !

cassarta11cassarta11
      Participant

Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings
      Santa Cruz Guitar Company is pleased to announce the release of Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings.

When it comes to strings, it’s all about tension. While gauge is simply the measurement of the string’s diameter, the tension of a string determines its relative volume to the other strings (EQ). String tension is determined by its core to wrap ratio, which can vary greatly among manufacturers. This can create multi-pound differences between brands and an illogical EQ within any given set.

Santa Cruz Strings are engineered to do what others cannot, to put the exact tension on each individual string to create the appropriate download pressure. These calculated tensions determine the optimal relative volume between strings, or EQ, for your instrument.  Santa Cruz Strings require precise core to wrap ratios and precision fit and finish for unprecedented tolerances of one half of one thousandths of an inch. This accurately determines the tension/volume of each string to the exact EQ that your guitar was designed for. State of the art metallurgy and micro-coating assures long life by preventing corrosive moisture from contacting the core of these nickel and lead-free strings.

This project has been a decade in the making; commercially available strings were never able to truly complement the complexity of overtones and sustain that SCGC achieves by individually tap tuning and hand voicing each guitar. SCGC, therefore, sought out the wisdom of their friends and colleagues within the audiological sciences to collaborate on a new design that will fully drive Santa Cruz Guitar Company’s complex acoustic tone.

All new SCGC guitars leaving our small shop in Santa Cruz will be set up with these new Santa Cruz Strings, and individual packages of both the Low Tension and Mid Tension sets can be purchased by clicking below. SCGC finds that most players prefer the Low Tension Strings for smaller bodied guitars, OOO, OM, H and F Models, and the Mid Tension Strings for dreadnought models. If you prefer to use Mid Tension Strings on smaller bodied guitars, it is recommended that the guitar be set up to accommodate the added tension.

kristanprimozkristanprimoz
      Participant

Recently I started using Wyres phosphor bronze (P.T.F.E. coated), CP12-54 on my vintage D-28. They sound amazing also on Collings 000-2H.

AlexAlex
      Participant

Has anybody tried to ‘boil’ old strings in water with a bit of vinegar? It does seem to restore the lustre and most of the original tone, but the strings become fragile somewhat. They can sometimes snap upon tensioning again. I guess it’s not the boiling that weakens them though, but the fact that they have been pre-tensioned for months and the metal has developed internal stress points. Annhealing at 500C in a muffle furnace might also work but I haven’t tried that! I am a chemist and we do have a muffle at work, so I might give it a shot. I’ll keep you posted on developments!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by DevinDevin.
Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.