Forum

Need help learning ...

Notifications
Clear all

Need help learning strumming patterns  

RSS
Jake Gottlob
(@jake)

I’m curious what you found to be the most efficient way to learn strumming patterns.  Changing chords, playing runs both feel impossible when i’m doing a strum other than a bluegrass strum.

Any practice suggestions would be most welcome

Posted : 17/09/2020 11:11 am
Susan Wagner
(@shysue)
Honorable Member

Don't know if you've come across this course yet, but Devin has a great course in country and bluegrass strumming. I'm about 70% of the way through it and it's helped me a lot. As far as practice suggestions, all I can say is start slow and speed it up as you get more proficient. But then you probably already knew that. 😉 

https://countryguitaronline.com/classic-country-and-bluegrass-strumming-patterns-course-outline/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 3:32 pm
Ewart Boer, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 1 people liked
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Reputable Member

Try playing with a metronome to keep the time or the beat going. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 3:40 pm
Ewart Boer
(@ewartboer)
Eminent Member

A strum with picking a individual bass note is, what I experienced, the easiest way to integrate some bass runs. Indeed, there is one lesson in the country guitar strumming course which is learning you a lot of different (bluegrass) strumming patterns. It would be helpful to take his lesson!

Listening to your favourite songs on YouTube and try to strum along would also help to learn different strumming patterns. Its a good method too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 1:07 am
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Reputable Member

you could also try a couple of different counting methods. You could count by the numbers or some people prefer the up down method to keep the beat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 8:26 am
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Reputable Member

I used to have a lot of issues with the timing of the strumming to, for me it just ended up being a lot of practice. Start of with more simple strums and progress from there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 8:28 am
jrick92
(@jrick92)
Trusted Member

I agree with Susan. Everything you need is here just don't skip the easiest lessons. you may think they are too easy but do them anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 12:52 pm
jrick92
(@jrick92)
Trusted Member

And keep your fingernails short on your left hand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 1:18 pm
Share: