Forum

What’s you favorite...

Notifications
Clear all

What’s you favorite Martin Guitar.

Page 1 / 3
(@g)
Noble Member

Was interested in getting a Martin and was curious what people like the best as far as play and sound.

Topic starter Posted : June 1, 2020 11:48 AM
jrick92, John, fransverboom and 5 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Sorry,

just noticed I can’t spell today.

I guess I should have gotten some more coffee this morning.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 1, 2020 12:10 PM
George Lange, jrick92, John and 6 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I have a D-18 and a custom. The D-18 is my favorite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 8:22 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

How does the numbering work on these guitars? I'm guessing the D is for dreadnought, but i don't know what the numbers mean?

I say "the D is for dreadnought" but I've no idea. Eastman use D for their dreads.

Over here in the UK we have Atkin guitars making copies of vintage era Gibsons and Martins. If I had 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket i'd buy one.😥

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 4:14 AM
George Lange, jrick92, John and 7 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I just know that the D-18 is a Mahogany back and sides, and the D-28 is Rosewood back and sides. The numbers are for the wood type. 

Sometimes buying used is better than buying new. I waited and waited for a good used D-18 to come up for sale, and I actually found one at Guitar Center. Got a pretty good deal, $750 less than new and it is in great shape!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 7:41 PM
George Lange, jrick92, John and 7 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@shysue

Thanks. Good to know what the numbers mean. Then there are the the zeros in front of some smaller models too, which refer to size and shape I think.

Buying used makes a lot of sense if you get a good one. Especially true of cars. Let someone else pay the initial depreciation! Those D18's are really great guitars so you did well there.

Many people buy guitars and never play them. They are basically new instruments that have rarely left their cases. If they've acquired a cosmetic ding, they go for even better prices. Since I'm prone to dinging my guitars it makes sense to pick one up used, although I haven't done so recently. Both of my current guitars were reasonably priced new, but a week after buying my Eastman i saw one on Facebook Marketplace for nearly half price (300 v 500) so someone got a nice deal there. I'm guessing lots of people bought "lockdown guitars" so expect some bargains in the months to come.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 1:56 AM
George Lange, jrick92, John and 8 people reacted
(@j-phillips189btinternet-com)
Reputable Member

@rg

its a great question!  I guess it depends on the music you want to play, Devin seems to play a D18 if my eyes serve me right.   I love its bass, boom sound but the dreadnoughts are just too big for me as a petite woman.  The depth is too much for me to comfortably play for hours.  After much research I bought the Martin OOL -17 .  It’s sound goes on and on.  I can play it for hours and I shall never forget the day I purchased her, the smell of the wood enveloped me .  Awesome guitar made in PA.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 2:50 AM
jrick92, canuck, John and 7 people reacted
(@j-phillips189btinternet-com)
Reputable Member

@dom

Agree deals to come post lock down.  For every 100 folk who start playing guitar today there will only be 1 playing the same time next year, heck of a fall out rate.  Practice- Practice mantra requires dedication and time. I’ve nearly completed my first year and the passion remains as does an appreciation for every musician who plays live for two Hours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 2:53 AM
George Lange, jrick92, canuck and 10 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@dom Found this chart on Martin guitar body sizes. Having a visual to go with the body number helps, I think.

See the source image

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 6:03 PM
jrick92, John, fransverboom and 6 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

Would love to have a D18 if I had the money. Maybe I’ll come across a used one one day. Love the sound of that Mahogany. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2020 6:49 PM
(@cotton-eye-marc)
Trusted Member

Easy! 000 body 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 5:03 AM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@cotton-eye-marc

So the 000 is the same as an OM according to the Martin post Susan put up above. Eastman do an E range om in both spruce and cedar which are very nice. I have the dreadnought version of the Spruce (E1d) but often wished I'd gone with the smaller OM. Don't know much about Blueridge that you mentioned in another post except they are made in China too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 5:47 AM
jrick92, John, fransverboom and 6 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

How much does it cost (D18) in the USA?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 4:33 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jocelyn I think a new one goes for $2,499. Something like that. That's why shopping for a good used one can save you some money!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 7:16 PM
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

For sure, I’ll never have enough money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 2:13 PM
Page 1 / 3
Share: