Forum

Medium Strings Vs l...

Notifications
Clear all

Medium Strings Vs lights

(@g)
Noble Member

Does anyone prefer medium over light strings? I have yet to use mediums only lights and the wood tone strings which are in the middle of lights and mediums.

I was curious if anyone does a lot of flat picking with mediums or if they’re mostly for strumming?

Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2020 12:19 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I put the Woodtone’s on my little Roadie. Of all my 5 guitars,  I like the way Roadie sounds with the Woodtone’s. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 3:15 PM
George Lange, fransverboom, John and 4 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

The Woodtones are the heaviest strings I've tried so far and I can tell the difference in the E A and D strings, for sure. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 7:01 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

me too,

I noticed that Billy and Trey use 13-56.

probably because they would never get through a show without breaking a string if they didn’t use mediums.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2020 7:11 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I have always used mediums on my Martin, I have Woodtones on it now. I like either one but I'm leaning toward the Woodtones. However at my level of play, strings are not my number one problem lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 9:42 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

@jrick92 🤣 I’m right there with ya. My playing resembles music....a little. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 9:44 PM
fransverboom, John, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

I went over to Mediums (john Pearse) for a few months and enjoyed the change. Back on lights now.

I think lights are more my thing, but a change is as good as a rest, and I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

BTW, half the strings are the same on both i think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2020 1:34 PM
John, fransverboom, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve been liking the thicker strings. I thought thinner strings would be easier to learn with, wrong. As a beginner, my fingers often feel like I’m about to slice them open on slides or pull offs. I have a good callous but they still feel fragile. I think that’s more because I’m an old lady and don’t like rough feel of callous’ on my hands. I know that since picking up guitar, I’m extra extra cautious with knives and glassware in the kitchen too. I sliced the top of my thumb knuckle off about a month ago while shredding something and rejoiced that I hadn’t cut the pads of my fingers! I was more concerned about my fretting ability than I was about the chunk of epidermis tissue I was missing!!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2020 11:43 AM
fransverboom, John, jrick92 and 1 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

WOODTONE HALFWAYS, Are the best ive tried for a while.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2020 1:40 PM
fransverboom, jrick92, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@llamatrnr)

After many years of using medium strings (Guild Phosphor Bronze 13-56) on my Martin D35 and Taylor 810, I decided to try lights, thinking possibly easier on the fingers. VERY noticeable difference in sound quality; the guitars sounded "thin" to me and I immediately changed back to mediums. Just one man's experience...

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2023 11:03 AM
(@sandy)

I love the sound of the Woodtones. I've had fun playing around with different string gauges though, and have gone as light as .010-.047, which really upped my game for faster flatpicking!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 1:47 PM
(@dick-hauser)

The Eastman guitars I bought had light strings.  Tried a little heavier string, but switched back to the lighter strings.  The strings were D'Addarios, and is a series they no longer make.  So I  now have 9 sets of a highly desired strings that is no longer available in stores.  I prefer those discontinued D'Addarion XP strings to their replacement series strings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2023 10:05 PM
Share: