Forum

Martin D28 or HD28

Notifications
Clear all

Martin D28 or HD28

(@g)
Noble Member

I was curious if anyone had tried both guitars and which they like best and why.

Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2020 2:51 PM
fransverboom, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@flatpicker)

Hey, how are you? When you say like I sorta assume you might be talking more about sound. You can stop me if I'm misunderstanding you there. I have a 2011 HD28 that I  really like and my dad has a 67 D28 that I really, really like. I think the biggest difference is that some guitars and some woods just get better with being played longer. There's a whole explanation for that but you don't want me to go into that. Bottom line is if you're looking for a 28, play both and play lots of them. In shopping around you'll hear differences in each one you play, and you will eventually play one that you like a little more. Other than that, it just comes down to a tad fancier cosmetics. I think may dad's D28 has a superb tone solely because of it's age and a few thousand more hours on it. My HD pulls a great tone to not be a classic, vintage guitar.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2020 10:30 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@flatpicker Thanks for the feedback Charles, much appreciated. Tone and playability is what I was really curious about. I hear those guitars sound better and better as they age. I’m thinking of buying another guitar sometime soon but just can’t think of what I want to buy. I currently have a Taylor 214ce with a solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides (laminated not solid wood). It plays really well and I love the guitar. Bluegrass is what I like to play mostly. I’m looking for something that has great tone and has great playability. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2020 10:51 PM
fransverboom, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@amcstay)

I really, really love my HD-28V

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 12:49 AM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
(@jasonwoolever)

I have the HDC-28E.... I'll never need another acoustic guitar

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 2:44 PM
Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom, jrick92 and 3 people reacted
(@gratefulgreg22)

D18 and you'll be happy you did.

I've had a Taylor 314CE (Sapele Back/Sides and Spruce Top) for 20 years now and had to get myself a dread when I started getting more into bluegrass.  I was back and forth with the D18 and D28 but i'm happy I went with the 18.  Nothing sounds like Mahogany to me and its so much lighter than the rosewood.  When i want to dress it up, I have white bridge pins that make it look a little fancy like the 28 so best of both worlds 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 9:01 PM
Susan Wagner, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@gratefulgreg22  Nice looking guitars!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 11:36 PM
Susan Wagner, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
Share: