Forum

Hanging acoustics o...

Notifications
Clear all

Hanging acoustics on the wall...good or bad?

Page 2 / 2
 Alex
(@alexcontinilive-co-uk)
Eminent Member

That’s a nice guitar. I love the headstock and inlay markets on the fretboard. It has a peculiar shape bridge too!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2019 11:57 AM
jrick92, fransverboom, jerseychicadee and 6 people reacted
(@dmcfarlandlcpchotmail-com)

Montana winters, I'm told by the guitar store, are very destructive to guitars. They keep theirs in 45% humidity, and said several guitars have been brought back with the question "What happened to my guitar?" Said the shop owner, "The guitars don't lie. People put 'em in a stand or hung them on the wall." It's much too dry here for guitars not to be cased, in their opinion. My new Guild is in the case. My old Yamaha is on a stand - and has a cracked top, but I've had it since the seventies. I still love it, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2019 2:19 PM
(@orr_84065yahoo-com)

I've seen several cracked topped Collings guitars. I keep all my babies in a hard shell case. Just my 2 cents worth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2019 3:05 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

It gets pretty dry here in Arizona and we learned a hard lesson with my husband's Guild. He liked to keep it in his office on a stand while I always put mine back in the case when I was done. After a year or so he noticed that the low E string sounded the same on two different frets. He took the guitar back to the shop where he bought it and they had to reset one of the fret wires AND the neck because . . . well let's just say that he should have either put it back in the case or paid more attention to the humidity. At least that's what we were told. It was an expensive lesson. 

We have since found a nice homemade guitar cabinet on Craigslist. Bought that and it's perfect for four guitars, and we just set a small bowl of water and a hygrometer to keep track of the humidity (keep it between 45 and 55 at all times) and haven't had any problems since. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 8:36 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, jerseychicadee and 5 people reacted
Kevin Simmons
(@k_simmons)
Estimable Member

Solid wood guitars are more susceptible than guitars with laminate backs and sides to both low and high humidity environments.  Most all guitars have solid tops and are still susceptible to humidity. I have a couple of Taylors and they have a lot of good information on the subject on their website. They say the optimal humidity range for their guitars in somewhere around 45-55%.  Prolonged exposure to anything higher than that an your guitar will become "wet" and several symptoms will pop up including higher string action from the top swelling.  Prolonged exposure to lower humidity will cause your guitar to dry out and your action will lower and you will start having problems with string buzz.  Extended exposure to either situation can cause some pretty major damage. Taylor recommends using the Two-Way Humidification System from D’Addario.  My house stays within the recommended range most of the time, but to be safe I keep the two-way humidification system in the case with my guitars and I have not had any problems.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 8:55 PM
jrick92, fransverboom, jerseychicadee and 5 people reacted
(@georgeanddoris66hotmail-com)
Reputable Member

I’d be worried about the guitars falling off the wall because of a mechanical failure or is someone were to nudge the guitar while walking by. Things do happen. I keep my guitars in their  cases. I put humidifiers in each case in the winter months. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2021 10:07 AM
jrick92 reacted
Page 2 / 2
Share: